Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This sub is good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This sub is good?
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:41pm

Hi, i can't find any info about these subwoofer in the net, only a few images.

As far as I know, the old speakers made in Japan are of good quality, correct me if I'm wrong. I also find it strange to see such a "sound system" sony speaker. Could it be a good acquisition?

Would you know to tell me some other model with similar characteristics to compare?

it seems to be a double chamber reflex, because it have 2 circles in the bottom (sorry if i'm wrong, i'm noob)

sistema de sonido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:26pm
oh! they have 15" cones and 200 RMS, this is all what i know.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:30pm
It just a reflex, with two vents.
I would be careful with these, probably small Xmax, so not a lot of extension.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

It just a reflex, with two vents.
I would be careful with these, probably small Xmax, so not a lot of extension.

hi!

sorry, what is Xmax? pounch? English is not my first language.

i want one of this to home, pair with 70RMS self-powered. not need a full power.

they ask me 90 bcuks each. it's ok?

thanks for reply

Edited by sistema de sonido - 12 May 2018 at 9:29pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:43pm
Xmax means how far the cones can travel before distorting. It's not relevant to you if you're only feeding them 70 Watts. (well, maybe if you're playing content with heavy 30Hz content you'll get some distortion in the peaks, but you should at least be safe from damage. If you're hearing any distortion on the lowest frequencies you should use a high pass filter just in case.)

I don't know anything about these speakers but $90 each is probably about right. Not a bargain though. Old low powered subs don't hold their value very well so there are lots of opportunities around. 

Counterintuitively you're probably getting a worse cost to performance ratio due to the Sony brand than you would from a less well known but good quality brand. 

Should do the job for home use.

Edited by Hemisphere - 12 May 2018 at 11:51pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Xmax means how far the cones can travel before distorting. It's not relevant to you if you're only feeding them 70 Watts. (well, maybe if you're playing content with heavy 30Hz content you'll get some distortion in the peaks, but you should at least be safe from damage. If you're hearing any distortion on the lowest frequencies you should use a high pass filter just in case.)

I don't know anything about these speakers but $90 each is probably about right. Not a bargain though. Old low powered subs don't hold their value very well so there are lots of opportunities around. 

Counterintuitively you're probably getting a worse cost to performance ratio due to the Sony brand than you would from a less well known but good quality brand. 

Should do the job for home use.

ok thanks. so i will se other new sub options.

i saw this at this ratio price, this can will be better?

problably overrated data..

Vonyx SMW15:

Peak power:600W
Power max.:300W
Power rating:200W
Impedance:8 Ohm
Frequency response:30Hz - 300Hz
SPL @ 1W/1m:89dB
SPL max: 117dB (in other sites i can see "SPL máx: 94 dB")
Woofer:15 inch
Top hat:Yes
Connector:2x NL4 / 2x 6.3mm jackplug / terminals
Dimensions:375 x 480 x 570mm
Weight:16.3kg

thanks.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:58pm
No! The Sonys will walk all over that. Even the published specs sound terrible.

You've got no chance to compete with used price/performance when buying a new sub with the same budget.

Unless you can find specific info on the Sony subs there's always a chance that they were a budget model at time of release, but I doubt it. It doesn't really fit with Sony's general business model to sell a huge product that sucks. Big usually means expensive with Sony.

From looks alone it seems like a fairly down-to-Earth stage product. Castor wheels, grilles look good. That they split the grille into 3 sections (at considerable extra cost, presumably to minimise risk of damage to the driver if the grilles take abuse in a rough gigging environment), tells you a lot about the design ethic. Probably cost 3 or 4 times the Vonyx sub when new, if not more.

User 'doller' (or 'dollar'?) on this forum is from Japan so he's probably the person to ask.

Edited by Hemisphere - 13 May 2018 at 1:11pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:10pm
I´d buy the old Sony´s before any cheap modern crap. The cabinets will most probably be a better build and overall sound better. Just make sure that the speakers are in good condition, ie not too much wear, especially the foam surrounds and that the coils don´t rub, ie the cone moves smoothly in and out.

And try drop the price a bit, like 130/140€ for the pair. Debes regatear un poco, tio!!   Smile

What sort of amp have you got to drive them?
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I´d buy the old Sony´s before any cheap modern crap. The cabinets will most probably be a better build and overall sound better. Just make sure that the speakers are in good condition, ie not too much wear, especially the foam surrounds and that the coils don´t rub, ie the cone moves smoothly in and out.

And try drop the price a bit, like 130/140€ for the pair. Debes regatear un poco, tio!!   Smile

What sort of amp have you got to drive them?

jajajaja i think offer 120€ (they ask me 75€ each)

these are the actual photos, it looks fine

i'm already buy (hastily ) a samson servo 300

(in think put 1 sub in bridge mode ):

SERVO 300 SPECIFICATIONS
Stereo both channel driven
8 Ohms .............................. 100 Watts x 2
4 Ohms .............................. 150 Watts x 2
Bridged mono
8 Ohms .............................. 300 Watts
Signal to Noise Ratio (20Hz-20k) ...... 102dB
Distortion (SMPTE-IM) ..................... 0.01%
Input sensitivity @8 Ohms ................ 1.24V(4dBu)
Voltage Gain .................................... 33dB
Output Circuitry Class ....................... AB
AC Power
@1/8 rated power 4 Ohms, max. ....... 0.7A
@1/3 rated power 4 Ohms, max. ....... 1.7A
@ rated power 4 Ohms, max. ............ 5.0A
Distortion (typical @4 Ohms)
20Hz-20kHz,10dB
below rated power ............... 0.01%
1kHz,rated power ................ 0.1%
Frequency Response
@8 Ohms, 1Watt, 20Hz-20kHz ........... +0/-0.5dB
Damping Factor (400Hz) ................... 280
Input Impedance .............................. 15k Ohm Unbalanced,
30k Ohm Balanced
Input Clipping .................................. 10Vrms (22dBu)
Cooling ........................................... Continuously variable speed,
fan forced air
Connectors (each channel)
Input ................................. RCA unbalanced and
1/4”(6.3mm) TRS, balanced
Output ............................... 5-way Binding post and
1/4” Phone
Controls .......................................... AC power switch,Channel 1
and 2 volume
Indicators ....................................... Power on (blue), Protection
(amber), Signal (green) for each
Ch., Peak(red) for each Ch.
Level: , -24 dB, -20 dB, -16 dB,
-12 dB, -8 dB, -4 dB, -2 dB. O,
+2 dB and +4 dB (PEAK).
Protection ....................................... Short circuit,Thermal,Current
limit,DC offset,Current inrush,
RF protection, Turn on/Turn
off muting
Power Requirements ......................... 115/230,240VAC,50/60Hz
Dimensions (W x H x D) .................... 19” x 3.5” x 11.7”
(483mm x 89mm x 297mm)
Net Weight ...................................... 20 lbs (9.09 kg)

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:40pm
Ok, that´s not too bad.

The Samson is a bit small, but maybe ok for just home use. I have some 15" PD´s in my stereo driven with a 2 x 100W home-made amp and it´s fine. Just don´t use them in the plaza for fiestas!!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

No! The Sonys will walk all over that. Even the published specs sound terrible.

You've got no chance to compete with used price/performance when buying a new sub with the same budget.

Unless you can find specific info on the Sony subs there's always a chance that they were a budget model at time of release, but I doubt it. It doesn't really fit with Sony's general business model to sell a huge product that sucks. Big usually means expensive with Sony.

From looks alone it seems like a fairly down-to-Earth stage product. Castor wheels, grilles look good. That they split the grille into 3 sections (at considerable extra cost, presumably to minimise risk of damage to the driver if the grilles take abuse in a rough gigging environment), tells you a lot about the design ethic. Probably cost 3 or 4 times the Vonyx sub when new, if not more.

User 'doller' (or 'dollar'?) on this forum is from Japan so he's probably the person to ask.

It is curious the data of the wheels, because the photos of the OP are taken from the internet, but those that are offered to me have no wheels (you can see the photos above)

Once I read that "purists" recommend not to put wheels because they can produce vibrations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistema de sonido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Ok, that´s not too bad.

The Samson is a bit small, but maybe ok for just home use. I have some 15" PD´s in my stereo driven with a 2 x 100W home-made amp and it´s fine. Just don´t use them in the plaza for fiestas!!   LOL

hehehe

but you are talking about one sub, right? or the two at the same time?

i means, your sub is in one chanel, or in the two chanels at the same time?

the last question. Someone in other forum say this about this sub
"Given that and what we can see about this product in the other posts these would have to be considered more a bass bin than what we know as a subwoofer these days, they won't go low with any authority and will be totally outclassed by a modern 15" pro audio subwoofer that is a fraction of the size."

this can be truth?

because i will put some "moderm" music with sub bass (reagge/jungle etc).... maybe the sony only down good to to 80hz? (i will like some 30/50hz)

thanks for reply and sorry for my english XD

Edited by sistema de sonido - 13 May 2018 at 2:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>