Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thought on aligning two different subs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thought on aligning two different subs
    Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:45pm
We are looking to run a stack of 2no super bass horns along with 4no stapier micro scoops. These will run below 2no. cubo kicks and 2no. ASS MX 350's.

We do not have smaart and probably won't have access to it so appreciate even with approximate time alignment we wont have phase alignment.

However,

If one were to delay the kicks to the SBH such that a tone at the xover point goes to a minimum with either phase inverted would this be a good start. We would then do the same to delay the micro scoops to the kicks. This should give a delay to apply to the micro scoops and a longer delay to apply to the kicks.

Is this a method worth pursuing?

Any thoughts / input would be great. 
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 6:19pm
The above method will mean that they are aligned at the crossover frequency (possibly) but due to these two cabs probably having very different phase responses, they won't be aligned anywhere else in the pass band.

You will likely end up with a muddied reponse of peaks and troughs as the phase between the two cabs chnages in relation to each other.

This may or may not sound better to you. But its probably unlikely to be an improvement.

Notes:
1) I have not measured these cabs phase.
2) I am assuming you are running them in the same pass band.
3) I am assuming they are being stacked together.

If you are running two seperate stacks with one type of sub on each stack.
Yes use the above method to get a rough alignment for each sub and kick in each stack, then delay one of the stacks as needed to bring them both in line with each other.

Personally i question the effectiveness of trying to do this without a program like smaart.

But good you are thinking about it.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 9:30am
Thanks a lot for your response.

they would likely be run 30-100 and 40-100hz and stacked together. 

I was thinking running 2 way bass so 30-60 / 60-105hz maybe so will experiment with this when we get chance.

Looking to find someone who is clued up and has calibrated mic and smaart but if not will have to be trial and error. 

Id personally do 2 stacks L/R but feel theres a desire for a big mono stack...

Edited by rosssss224 - 16 February 2018 at 9:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply