Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for small indoors soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for small indoors soundsystem
    Posted: 29 January 2024 at 11:40pm
Hello all!

So, over the past few months I've been researching about building a soundsystem from scratch, hopefully being able to start the project this year. After learning about the bare basics, I've lately been trying to learn more about speakers themselves, what to watch out for in cabinets, and so on.

I'm already 100% sure that I want to use the system in small settings only, like small gatherings at houses, garages or warehouses, for 100 people MAX. I don't really intend to use it outdoors. Music-wise I lean on the dub side but definitely more towards the digital UK dub from the 90s and 2000s rather than the classic 70s roots. I would also enjoy playing more experimental tracks with harsher and noisier textures (I assume that making those sounds not too shrill would require good quality tops/tweeters?).

Another great priority of mine would be a focus on the lower bass range, which I assume wouldn't be very hard to trade off for, since the speakers don't need to have a very high output, being destined for small spaces and all (please correct me if im wrong). However, I would also love for the kick to be quite punchy.

For that reason, I thought of starting with 18" reflex subs, since people seem to say they work good in close-quarter settings, and are also easier to build if you are completely new to woodworking (which I am) when compared to horn loaded cabinets. I was thinking of going with either two 2x18 or four 1x18, but is that maybe overkill? Do I need just half of those?

Also, if I could get some reccomendations for mid-tops I would much appreciate it. I admit I haven't researched those ranges very thoroughly yet.

Thanks in advance guys Smile
BrainlessTekno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 8:22am
in your case i would build a stack this way, 2 subs 1 kick 1 top. Once you have this you will see if it is enough for your needs. If not just double the speakers. I personally fall in love with sound of horns but if thats not your case go with reflex -> 2x reflex will preform better than 2x horn. When it comes to picking the right cabs there is one way that proves to work the best, if you have time friday night go "clubing" and listen look ask LOL
BarSick / barsik soundsystem
Dont want to toot my own horn but toot toot
jahcuzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 9:40am
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately there are no active dub soundsystems in my city Confused, only some "regular" type of clubs where the sound unfortunately is not very good. That's part of the reason why I feel a bit lost.
Regarding the setup you mentioned, do you have any reccomendations on the cabinet models (particularly for the subs)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 9:49am
oh thats unfortunate Shocked well as i sad im more of a "horny" guy LOL but if i must suggest something i would go with mini scoops. They are kinda magical cabs... nor reflex either horn (or are they ? jk :D) they also are compact and you can actually move them around (thats huge factor in lot of cases) high SPL and play pretty low. There is no cab that can fool physics but mini scoops seem like they do (at least to me). 

Im actually not running mini scoops but friend of mine do and im kinda jelous.

Also im not mutch of a DUB guy either but seems that dub community loves scoops but mostly the big ones

Edited by BrainlessTekno - 30 January 2024 at 9:50am
jahcuzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 10:38am
Well, I wouldn't mind at all going for some miniscoops since my main criteria is bass range, I just feel a bit intimidated by designs other than reflex since (from what I've read) they are easier to build + less prone to sounding bad if not built perfect. Even though I would probably be able to get help from some more experient people, I have never done any woodwork but would like to start getting my hands on it.

That being said, the miniscoops don't look too complex when compared with other horns. Would you say they are not that hard for a first build? 
Also, horns are more directional, right? Would that be a problem in smaller settings?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 10:46am
As i sad with mini scoops its not that simple to assume its a horn (it is but the kinda behave as reflex) it vary by different MS designs mby i can find topic where its explained much better ... gimme some time i will edit the post in

And yes they are not that hard to build and im sure you will enjoy building them, there are no mitre angles and very little tricky parts so the building can be in fact enjoyable

here it is https://forum.speakerplans.com/mini-scoops-reality-check_topic97442.html, reading this will help you understand whats happening inside and also may help you decide if they are for you

Edited by BrainlessTekno - 30 January 2024 at 10:49am
jahcuzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 12:42pm
Thank you Big smile, I'll definitely be reading that thread and similar ones thoroughly
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 1:58pm
Get some decent 18" reflex cabs, two reflex cabs will outplay for example a miniscoop. 
But also depends on the budget and what you want to lug around.
jahcuzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2024 at 10:00pm
Ngl, after reading through that thread and similar ones I'm kinda torn now. I feel that maybe starting with good top + reflex cabs for bass would let me go slow and maybe give me more flexibility if I later wish to expand the soundsystem (maybe convert the BR into kick bins and get new subs, minis or otherwise).
At the same time, those miniscoops do look sweet, and budget-wise I wouldn't mind starting with a 3 way system right away. But people seem to use them in stacks of 4 at least, would 2 suffice or would it sound weird (due to the dip in response below 35hz)?

Maybe in the near future I'll get the chance to listen to full size scoops...

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated, guys

Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Get some decent 18" reflex cabs, two reflex cabs will outplay for example a miniscoop. 
But also depends on the budget and what you want to lug around.

In what sense do you think two reflex cabs can outplay a miniscoop?

Edited by jahcuzzi - 01 February 2024 at 10:01pm
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by jahcuzzi jahcuzzi wrote:

Ngl, after reading through that thread and similar ones I'm kinda torn now. I feel that maybe starting with good top + reflex cabs for bass would let me go slow and maybe give me more flexibility if I later wish to expand the soundsystem (maybe convert the BR into kick bins and get new subs, minis or otherwise).
At the same time, those miniscoops do look sweet, and budget-wise I wouldn't mind starting with a 3 way system right away. But people seem to use them in stacks of 4 at least, would 2 suffice or would it sound weird (due to the dip in response below 35hz)?

Maybe in the near future I'll get the chance to listen to full size scoops...

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated, guys

Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

In what sense do you think two reflex cabs can outplay a miniscoop?

3 to 4 reflex per decent scoop Big smile

feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
jahcuzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahcuzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2024 at 5:08pm
Miniscoops as well?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2024 at 4:26am
I think you haven't addressed some important questions:

1. Transport
2. Storage
3. Amping
4. Budget
5. Availability (aka where are you living->what is available for purchase)

Edited by bob4 - 06 February 2024 at 4:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>