Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TK discosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 7:45pm
Another TK dIscosound on ebay now...looks in nice condiition...and comes with loads of other stuff.FAL amp etc...Martin,you fancy a trip to Yarmouth? Big smile

Be seeing you.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 9:12pm
Do you all know that TK electronics was a Southend firm, along with DJ electronics which were a lot bigger. TK was owned and run by a guy called Dave Woods.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 9:38pm
Arr,ok,thanks Tony,i didnt know that...it seems a lot of these disco firms were based in essex.

Incidentially,do you know who actually made the "glitter systems" cabinets with the shiny laquer finish that Disco supplies use to sell?
Be seeing you.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Another TK dIscosound on ebay now...looks in nice condiition...and comes with loads of other stuff.FAL amp etc...Martin,you fancy a trip to Yarmouth? Big smile

I'm guessing from the other kit it comes bundled with, this would be either the mono 'Midas' console?, or maybe (due to the 70's light boxes), maybe the slightly more exotic Magister with built in sound to light do-dah?

Either way, the start bid seems entirely reasonable - albeit it's collection only from the far side of nowhere.....

Greg

Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Arr,ok,thanks Tony,i didnt know that...it seems a lot of these disco firms were based in essex.

Incidentially,do you know who actually made the "glitter systems" cabinets with the shiny laquer finish that Disco supplies use to sell?

I don't know where they came from, but it became a popular finnish and other DJ shops used to do them. It was probably a woodwork shop that got persuaded to do them and went broke or moved on. Lets hope it was the latter.
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Joseph P.Keegan Joseph P.Keegan wrote:

Congrats !

Just think of how much fun you can now have playing at a 70's / 80's night with the real mc coy.

Don't forget the weetabix.

I have the smaller brother with the built in mono amp , rotary controls , belt drive turntables and ceramic cartridges.
One quirk I found was that you lost some of the bass if the PFL switch was still switched to the deck that you were playing. After cueing the record , I used to turn the PFL switch to the aux position and no bass lost.

Enjoy,I don't envy lifting the likes again .

Joe .
Yes, I had this exact model, brand new, indeed you have jogged my memory, the PFL switch did do that!
It just is.
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 8:14pm
hi.
Just bought a TK Discosound Magister - mono with Autopulse sound-to-light.

It's in glorious mono, but anyone any idea of the amp power rating?

Thanks
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 10:19pm
Simon,

I dont think the TK Magister included built in amp(s) - if you take a look through the first couple of pages of the 'Roger Squires' thread you'll see that the whole Squire brochure has been posted and includes details of all the late 70's/early 80's TK range.

Take a good look at the number of controls yours has in comparison with the whole TK range and I'm sure you'll find it.  The TK built in amps were generally a solid 175w RMS each, I've got a couple of the Roadstar decks with the inbuilt amps and they're plenty grunty!

Later in the Squire thread you'll see the astonishing original prices of the quality kit of the day.....

Greg

Edited by GregM - 08 February 2011 at 8:37pm
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 6:39pm
hi - well it's definately a 'Disco Magister' which from the other Roger Squires posts is the same as the Magnum Mk II but with the 'convenience' of a built in sound to light.

I found all the triacs were fried so have replaced them and have now got one channel of teh 'Autopulse' working. I think there is a fault in the other two that I am trying to replace.

Photos of the amp and internals etc follow (when I work out how!)

simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 6:52pm
Those pictures
The 'Proof ' of what it is
175watts of Mono. Signed on the test sticker as 1979
Autopulse Unit and view of ths R.H.S
Overall Layout
For any of our newer members the Round thing in the middle is a 45 rpm 'record' - I had to explain this to my family

woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:28am
the decks may not be the originals, back in the late 80s citronic offered the turntables as a separate. we used to fit them into all sorts of consoles. it was around £45 a deck +psu, cheaper than buying a new console!   
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 9:00am
Ditto that,i think those Citronic turntables are a later addition....originally would have had BSR or Garrard sp25 mk 1V?

Nice photos by the way Simon.Well done.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>