Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TK discosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 8:09am
Yep - I agree looks like that as the deck start switches are now not illuminated as they are no longer pulling 240v and the wiring is not to the same standard as the original.

Still - I aren't going to worry unless a couple of SP25 Mk IVs come up very cheap.

urbex13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbex13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:47pm
I have just bought a Discosound Magnum Mk I, I can confirm that mine has Garrard turntables, can anyone help me out with regards to the styli I need? I presume they're available on the net somewhere? 
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:21pm
You will have to see what type of cartridge it has  then look on ebay for stylus for that cartridge
it should be either Stanton 500al or Shure N75 or 70B
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:26pm
I'd reckon on Shure N75. If you are not sure post us a pic of the cartridges.
Billy Dawg.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:59am
Somewhere, I've got a TK Discosound amp which somebody gave me to fix "whenever I had time". Unfortunately, that time doesn't seem to have happened yet! I'll have to dig it out and take some photos one day.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:18am
It's incredible just how much of this stuff has survived the years. Makes you wonder how having sold so much kit how these companies ever went out of business!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
urbex13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbex13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:02pm
Thanks guys, that's really useful, I'll stick a picture up when I get a chance. I picked mine up the other day in a Bric a Brac shop with a couple of meaty speakers, it was quite a steal. Has anyone got any idea what sort of wattage it would run at? It's a pretty chunky piece of kit, it's sitting next to my Sony HP-239, I'm going through a serious vinyl revival stage at the moment despite being too young to really remember vinyl in shops.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:40pm
Well, done, good find - do please ping up some photo's for us eh?

The TK amp were generally a meaningful 175w RMS, so there'll be plenty enough power to keep you entertained.....

The Roadstar i picked up last year (the pic is on the very first posting in this thread) has a couple of the amp modules built in, and is well and truely grunty enough to fill the local village hall.

Do please show us some photo's, speaker too if they're interesting - there's some seriously knowledgable folk on here who need regular 'fixes' of new finds!

There's a good thread on here with scanned copies of many Old Skool type kits, which may interest you - you'll find the basic spec of the TK range about a 3rd of the way down page 1 (although this is the MkII versions (I'm not sure I've ever seen the MkI model)):

Oh, and welcome to the vinyl revival.....!

Greg

Edited by GregM - 10 May 2011 at 3:55pm
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 7:17pm
More TK Discosound on ebay - collection only from Lancashire though so of no interest to me, but somebody else maybe?

Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
vcmazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcmazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

More TK Discosound on ebay - collection only from Lancashire though so of no interest to me, but somebody else maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/twin-disco-decks-/280722895001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item415c637099 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/twin-disco-decks-/280722895001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item415c637099

Hi all,

I'm the mate that 'The Builder' referred to earlier. Back in the late 70s and early 80s I was a big user of TK Discosound stuff. I wouldn't use anything else for several years. They were the poor man's Citronic (I was the poor man). Having hung up the turntables over a decade ago, I decided to put a small show on the road again and The Builder has been helping me put it together. If only I'd have seen this ad a couple of months back I could have saved him a lot of aggravation Smile.

Couple of things. Someone stated on another thread that TK Discosound was a Southend based company. This must have been before my time. Towards the end of their life they were a very small operation - I think there were only a couple of guys left - in the Balls Pond Road, North London.

No doubt to me that the mystery deck is a TK Discosound, although it is strange that this one has no markings. The lower end models were the Midas (unpowered mono), the Magister (powered mono and 175W as someone else has stated). There was also the Magnum which I THINK was powered but with magnetic carts - not sure about that. Their stereo brothers were the Delta (unpowered) and the Dart (175W x 175W). To confuse matters more, there was the Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 and Mk4 (I think it stopped there but there might even have been a Mk5) of each.

If I had to lay money on it I would say that the mystery console is a Mk2 Magister. On reflection, it can't be the Dart. It has two speaker outputs on the left of the mixer - I'm pretty sure the Dart had four jack sockets on the sides for running four speakers. The Delta and the Midas were unpowered and therefore had no speaker outputs - that rules them out.

So a Magister it must be. It's older than Mk3, by then the decks had sliders and a sound to light unit was included (although not the full one as seen on this ad - it was just a flick switch auto sound to light thing and a bulgin socket on the side of the unit). And those knobs are of the Mk2 (and the rest of the Mk3 mixer) variety. The Mk1 had much wider, silver knobs. So assuming the knobs are original, I'd say Mk2 Magister. 

The one is this ad is, I reckon, a Dart Mk4 (possibly 5). And I want it LOL.

vcmazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcmazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 10:59pm
Sorry, should point out that I am referring to this mystery deck

http://forum.speakerplans.com/mystery-deck_topic58516_page1.html Wink.

Edited by vcmazz - 23 November 2011 at 11:01pm
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 6:00pm
Ooh, you need to get out more PhilWink
It just is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>