Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

to overpower or underpower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to overpower or underpower
    Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:49pm
hello! sooo i recently got 4 refurbished turbsound tse-215's (2x 15" driver in each cabinet) with the original drivers (all of which are in perfect working order, they are the pd ls1507, 250w rms, 500 program, 8ohms) and i have a spare crown xti6002 that i want to use to power them all if possible. so i would be running 4 of the drivers off each channel on the xti6002, but have ran into the problem of having to decide between wiring the drivers parallel and having them overpowered with 750w each or having them wired in a combination of series and parallel and running them at 300w each. what do you think would be better for the driver? i know that im better off overpowering them but would that much extra power be bad for them? how could i avoid destroying them or would i be better off getting a different amp? 

thanks!
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:18pm
Simplest is to just plug them in as is and dial in the limiters to max 2000w into 2 ohms assuming you can with that amp, amp will be ticking over so should be ok with the 2 ohm load.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 25 July 2017 at 1:19pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:08pm

Feeding a driver rated 500 watts program 750 watts continuous average power from an amplifier is not a problem. As long as you use the extra 250 watts as a means of headroom (Momentary Peaks) and not bore the speaker to death with 750 watts full clip. It comes down to how much control you have on yourself (being more conscientious) on having extra power at your disposal.

Best Regards,  

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 25 July 2017 at 2:09pm
Elliot Thompson
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:36pm
LS1506 would be the correct, latest driver for the TSE-215... the 1507 was the latest upgrade for the TMS-3... 

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 25 July 2017 at 5:38pm
tommspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 7:29am
Thanks heaps for your answers, they where very helpful, I appreciate it :)

The cabinets are actually tms 3's with the 10" and the comp drivers removed and chopped down, I thought it was the same as a tse 215 but that makes a lot of sense!

Cheers
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:47am
They're as close as they really need to be (you can run TSE-215s on the same amp channel as the TMS-3 15s) but the design and dimensions of the cabinet are slightly different.

IIRC the 1507 has a larger magnet than the 1506 and if you try to load an '07 into a TSE the magnet would stick all the way through the access hatch
tommspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 12:32pm
really handy to know for future if i have to replace the drivers! thanks heaps!
 Post Reply Post Reply