Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Berry Xenyx 302USB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berry Xenyx 302USB
    Posted: 07 August 2020 at 12:38pm
Got one of thse recently .... so I'm just writing a little "review" kinda thang.

Well I got it primarily to achieve a half-decent mic sound for my battery powered rig (consisting of a single FBT Maxx 4 4ohm version and a Bassface class D 4ch car amplifier using just 2 channels in 4ohm bridge to achieve about 150W).

I mostly use a phone to play mixes, and sometimes a baby laptop for playing tune-fi-tune. So the line input on RCA is fine for that, and a single mic input is all I need. I don't have any real quality mics - just a Audio Technica thing really - a fairly basic dynamic mic but works quite well with some bass cut on it. So input-wise - its all I really need. Another attraction is its USB power option - I got it assuming it would run for a good time from a USB "power bank" phone charger thingy which I already had. Also - its _really_ small and light :-)

The spec says maximum power consumption is 1W i.e. 200mA at 5V .... more later about this.

I was a bit nervous when the MC bod rocked up and picked up the mic ... even though I knew he wasn't a screaming/shouting/mic-swallowing nutter. I was half expecting amp overload/clipping/distortion .... but no - it was loud and clean voice over loud and clean music - even with the music playing at close to full welly  :-) :-) (This is outdoors BTW).
So I rate the mic pre-amp as definitely decent.

For my purposes, the connectors are all pretty convenient (no need for balanced out etc.) and the layout is cool.

Thing is - about 5 hours into that session, a proper singer guy (who I've known for some time) rocked up to sing over his own recording and probably chat a bit of stuff :-)  - but NO NO NO !! Disaster - the friggin mixer shuts off and I have no way to restore power to it. MORTIFYING !!
Well he just lip-synced to own tune and got plenty of phones/cameras filming him, so he wasn't too pissed off.
But my USB power bank is rated at about 5000mAh - so should be able to supply 200mA for a long time .... bit of a mystery at the time. Well later I proved that the mixer croaked cos of lack of power - nothing wrong with it - but it _seems_ to be using more than the specced 1W.
I've now set up 2 layers of backup power for thing - so should be good next time around.

The baby mixer should be just the job for e.g. buskers - but also for home use as in making podcasts/youtube videos etc.

I recokn its pretty damn good for my kind of use .... anyone else have one of these (or used one in this kind of context) ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 3:55pm
I'm surprised it was drawing enough current to keep a USB power pack switched on, but it's good to know that it does. One of the problems I've had with running 5V systems was how to keep the USB battery switched on.

It's worth noting that the capacity rating on batteries can be seriously misleading. IIRC even the reputable brands don't quite hit the ratings under test, but they still do much better than the cheap stuff. I keep a pair of Aukey 20,000mAh batteries to run my iPads for a wireless FOH setup when mixing.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply