FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement 1" Screw on Compression drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement 1" Screw on Compression drivers
    Posted: 28 February 2021 at 2:14am
Just found this on the net. It suggests a method of improving the sound of piezos. Perhaps someone could comment on this???

If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I have used the ones below and they are quite good.

Terralec sell the same ones for £5.75 each inc delivery:

I've got a pair of those kicking about in a box of old drivers in the garage, you're more than welcome to them OP if you cover the postage, although it may be more economical to order new units from the links above.. 
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 10:48pm
I used one of those piezos in a lockdown (1)  project. I had a pair of Faital Pro 6FE100s laying around I put them in a box with a Selenium HM17-25 horn.

Rather than bothering with a crossover I put the piezo on the back of the horn with a 4u7 polypropylene cap and a resistor. Results were surprisingly  good.

I used it with a 10" sub (Volt) to play some tracks after the "Clapping for the NHS" last summer.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 10:37pm
As Earplug says it looks like they are a standard thread so a proper screw thread comp driver will fit but it really isn't worth it.
It looks as though the piezo's linked to above are the same so buying a replacement pair of those should get these back up and running for less than £15.
Doing this will also mean they've been put back to 'as new' condition if you ever decide to sell them on.
Cheers, Chris.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 2:42pm
They are probably worth spending 10 to 15 quid on but not much more!!

Edited by APW - 25 February 2021 at 2:43pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 2:30pm
"The horn may not even take a standard screw thread comp driver."

No, I'm pretty sure that it uses the same thread. The piezo drivers linked to above will definitely have the same thread as your "srandard" 1" comp driver.   Smile

But as noted - really not worth doing...   Embarrassed

Edited by Earplug - 25 February 2021 at 2:31pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 2:12pm
Yep, they are the same as the ones posted in the links above by Markie and myself.
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 2:07pm
Im pretty sure the tweeters in these boxes are indeed piezio tweeters.
There doesnt seem to be a "crossover board" either, just some capacitors and resistors (I assume?) hot glued to the bottom of the cab.
Here are some pictures of the inside.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 1:26pm

Terralec sell the same ones for £5.75 each inc delivery:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1518641253

Edited by APW - 25 February 2021 at 1:33pm
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 12:25pm
I have a few screw on compression drivers which can be very cheap. But of course you still have to sort some kind of crossover. Probably best to get a couple of  screw fit piezos.

I have used the ones below and they are quite good.

Edited by markie - 25 February 2021 at 12:26pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 10:03am

The later SEM version definitely has a piezo, the SE version the is older version and is rated slightly higher power than the SEM version, the SE states the crossover frequency as 3.2Khz (way too high for a 15”!!) on the rear of the cabinet, I’m not saying the SE version definitely has a proper comp driver but without looking at what’s still inside the cabinet we are grasping at straws here….

Another thing to bear in mind, these things often sell for well under £100 per pair working (there is a single one on ebay currently for £12.00) , they are NOT worth putting £60 quid’s worth of comp drivers (£180 for the CD150 sugested above!!) + adapters + possible xovers into the chipboard/MDF cases.

GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 8:08am
Yes, a quick google reveals these speaker had piezo drivers in, so indeed there will be very little in the way of crossover components in there. If you’re on a budget it might be wise to just buy replacement piezo units which will not require any further alterations and be considerably cheaper than buying compressions and appropriate crossovers.
Also if you do decide to upgrade and fit compressions, I had cd 130’s once and I didn’t like them. Very harsh sound. The cd 150 is a far superior unit.
100% Earth Moving Bass
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>