FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 18SW115 Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C 18SW115 Enclosure
    Posted: 05 November 2021 at 4:56pm
ass mini scoop Thumbs Up
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Pnemonic Pnemonic wrote:

Followed this post to the end and saw nobody posted B&C's own plans that they made available- 

Hope this helps..

I would not go with those older sub designs from b&c. Definately the 18sw115 designs do not have sufficient port area.
Pnemonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnemonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2021 at 7:27am
Followed this post to the end and saw nobody posted B&C's own plans that they made available- 
https://www.bcspeakers.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTkvMDUvMDkvMTJfNDZfNDBfNjY5X1MxOEFOLnBkZiJdXQ 

Hope this helps..
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

@citizensc

Though, D&B do not have one subwoofer that really does something under 40Hz.
I think the ability to really perform that low is the missing factor for many. I have heard great reviews of the BC218 which has the ability to play that low.

As far as Perth as a city goes, D&B is about as low as it gets. The club install market is dominated by mediocre sounding D&B systems, the small-med dance music festival market is a mixture of D&B and FK1, to my knowledge none of the FK1 systems have anything bigger than the F218. There is us with an xtro punisher system and lastly a kitchen sink of other stuff like Nexo, Void, QSC, Yamaha etc which I don't see around much. 

So maybe my experience is very limited, but from what I have heard here, playing low is not the name of the game. 
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 9:05am
@citizensc

Though, D&B do not have one subwoofer that really does something under 40Hz.
I think the ability to really perform that low is the missing factor for many. I have heard great reviews of the BC218 which has the ability to play that low.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 2:43am
The Skram and Othorn are both 21 inch cabs, you could load them with an 18 inch driver but I am not sure why you would do this. I would just build a Th18 or Keystone or something if you want an 18 inch tapped horn. 

In my personal experience, I think sound below 35hz isn't really music, in fact trying to reproduce <35hz can just sound awful with 4x4 dance music. I was doing the sound for a smaller room in a Perth club and the promotor asked me why the main room with a big d&b system sounded so boomy and lacked impact. It sounded a lot like this at 29 seconds - https://youtu.be/5Bzu8xNp5X4?t=29 I just high-passed the system at 40hz in the mixing desk, the system sounded a million times better and the promotor was very pleased. 

It's not that you shouldn't build cabs that can produce low notes, if you do it right it can sound great, its just that I wouldn't make big compromises in pursuit of it.

Edited by citizensc - 23 September 2021 at 2:51am
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 8:52pm
I've analyzed quite a few tracks before and many of them seem to peak around 40hz, still I think the T30 brought more justice to the sub-bass content in many of the songs I've been playing.
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by osse osse wrote:

What kind of techno and house music do you play?

If you play this kind of techno I'd suggest something that's digging deeper than the keystone/th18: https://youtu.be/jM8KEfjLpI0, https://youtu.be/gbLXq-AbzKM

If you play lighter house/techno without the deeeep rolling basslines they will work awesomely.

I've got a pair of keystones loaded with 18sw115-8 and like to play the really deep techno, it works and plays brutally loud and good but I could easily use 10 Hz lower extension on quite a few of my tracks. 

To able to adequately match spl with your tops you definitely need two big tapped horns each side. I think othorn or Skram, if they work with the driver would be good or keystone/xocth18 if you are ok with the higher tuning.

Good luck!

I ran both of those tracks through Audacity and in each case the maximum bass levels are occurring 50Hz and above, with even 40Hz around 12dB down.

Do you think that youtube is perhaps filtering out the sub bass compared to the original tracks?

Interesting, I downloaded the Family matters track as WAV from youtube and compared to my non-youtube-rip wav, the only difference I could see was something strange in the >15khz region in the youtube version, otherwise I got similar results to you.

I had a quad of BFM T30's some years ago which I ran quite a few hours with techno music, when I built the Keystones I experienced an increase in SPL compared to the T30's but I also felt sub bass was compromised to some extent. With the T30's I chose tracks in my sets to include tracks with as much sub bass as possible in another way than I did when I got the keystones. I heard the same reaction from other DJ's who was not used to subs digging that low that they tweaked their sets to the lower octaves than they were used to do. I'm a bit surprised by the frequency plot, makes me think something else might also be at play here.

Edited by osse - 22 September 2021 at 8:42pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 8:26pm
12 dB down from the fundamental sure, but still a fair bit louder than everything from the upper midrange upwards.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by osse osse wrote:

If you play this kind of techno I'd suggest something that's digging deeper than the keystone/th18: https://youtu.be/jM8KEfjLpI0, https://youtu.be/gbLXq-AbzKM

If you play lighter house/techno without the deeeep rolling basslines they will work awesomely.

I've got a pair of keystones loaded with 18sw115-8 and like to play the really deep techno, it works and plays brutally loud and good but I could easily use 10 Hz lower extension on quite a few of my tracks. 

To able to adequately match spl with your tops you definitely need two big tapped horns each side. I think othorn or Skram, if they work with the driver would be good or keystone/xocth18 if you are ok with the higher tuning.

Good luck!

I ran both of those tracks through Audacity and in each case the maximum bass levels are occurring 50Hz and above, with even 40Hz around 12dB down.

Do you think that youtube is perhaps filtering out the sub bass compared to the original tracks?

Amphibia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amphibia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 12:59am
For anyone following this / reading at a different time - at we're currently looking at going 2 x Skram (https://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/742-riccis-skram-subwoofer-files/) and 1 x PM90 each side.

Down the line we'll build a couple of kick bins (perhaps Martin Audio 215 Mk3's) and another 2 x Skrams for each side.
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 8:18am

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>