FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie build: Reggae/dub mini system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie build: Reggae/dub mini system?
    Posted: 18 February 2024 at 10:19am
Very creative use of keyboard symbols 😊
tuffprawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffprawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2024 at 4:48pm
Same, it sounds great but I couldn't find anything on it anywhere ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2024 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Was just looking at this new thread with tham12 build pics. Got me thinking about the cabinet size. I've used some 12" TH I borrowed from a mate, supposedly loosely based on a danley design. Due to the form factor I concluded it must have been a "th mini" clone, loaded with some beyma woofers iirc. 

Those dropped down quite low. Comparing the specs, the tham12 is 500×520×350 , while the thmini is 600×600×370. The latter having in excess of 35 litres larger enclosure, and consequently longer horn path. 

Unless you have serious size and weight constraints, and are not concerned by the diminished Sub bass performance, Id advise against the tham12 in favor of a thmini copy...

I'd be really interested in seeing this thmini clone. Are there any info/ plans for it? I have googled but can't find anything exactly on it, a few different ones come up.

Edited by Jack1991 - 16 February 2024 at 4:18pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2024 at 10:17am
Was just looking at this new thread with tham12 build pics. Got me thinking about the cabinet size. I've used some 12" TH I borrowed from a mate, supposedly loosely based on a danley design. Due to the form factor I concluded it must have been a "th mini" clone, loaded with some beyma woofers iirc. 

Those dropped down quite low. Comparing the specs, the tham12 is 500×520×350 , while the thmini is 600×600×370. The latter having in excess of 35 litres larger enclosure, and consequently longer horn path. 

Unless you have serious size and weight constraints, and are not concerned by the diminished Sub bass performance, Id advise against the tham12 in favor of a thmini copy...
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 9:43am
Thams are compact and have great output, but have a steep rolloff after 50 Hz. Basically trades off sub bass for small size and more output in the higher bass range. 

It is very obvious from the sinumations and measurements available on the designers blog. 

On the other hand I know some guys locally who use tham12 for a highly portable 12V sound system. Haven't heard it yet though..... 

There might be other, larger 12" tapped horns that go lower. I think there is a Danley 12" TH?  Or just go reflex. 

All depends on what you want to achieve. 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 8:07am
I don't have anything to compare it to. But I find the Tham12s really good. With the drivers I used they weigh ~22kg. Which is fine to move round on your own. I use a 110ah Leisure Battery and that seems to last for ages.

I haven't used mains and a converter and don't know much about it at all but from what I have read on the 12v sound systems page people say it wastes a fair bit of energy converting from battery to mains power. How much I don't know. Also I use a 12v car amplifier so it's just battery to amplifier to speakers. Pretty easy setup. 

Budget wise I think I spent roughly £1000 on it. I did manage to get the wood for free though which did save a few 100 I expect.

I don't ever use it at home as it's way too loud and bassy for home (for my neighbours anyway) and I have a couple of Sonos speakers which are fine for home use. But it's pretty straight forward to use for home if you wanted too. I just have a Bluetooth recover connected to the DSP so it's just connect the battery, turn on the Bluetooth receiver and it's ready to go.

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 February 2024 at 8:42am
tuffprawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffprawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 7:25pm
Hey Jack — your system is essentially exactly what I'm going for...and looks like you did go with two Tham 12s on the bottom. Are you liking that in your setup? Any other thoughts on speakers I should be thinking about for a stack that size?

Also what are your thoughts on the 12v situation? I'm honestly fine to skip out on 12v and just run it through mains if that's going to be a whole lot easier to approach and more practical for home use...but I live right by a park that would be awesome to jam in when summer comes around. Decisions, decisions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 7:18pm
I built a smalish 12v sound system during covid. Was in the same situation as yourself having no idea beforehand, apart from the wood working side of it being a carpenter. 

Here is my build thread where hopefully you will find some useful information. The amplifier I used is what alot of other 12v people use and I can vouch for it being great. Also the dsp too. I think I covered a fair bit in the build thread so it should help a good bit.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/lockdown-audio-a-12v-3way-small-rig-build_topic105202.html
tuffprawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffprawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 3:52pm
Got it! That makes sense. I'm definitely not married to the 12v situation and honestly would rather it just be easy to plug into some mains as that will probably be the situation 90% of the time.

So that's an easy decision to just kill the 12v idea and go for a more straightforward power supply from mains — boom, one decision made.

I live in a city (San Francisco) so I imagine getting ahold of some second hand gear shouldn't be too hard. That's could be a good option. I'll start checking out facebook marketplace etc...

As far as the scoops go I don't necessarily care about specifically having scoops, but I did like the way the whole system seemed to be very modular and easy to break down while maintaining a clean look and geometry while stacked.

With that in mind, sub is important as it's pretty core to the music being played and I'd be fine going with easier builds that accomplish what I need...do you think maybe running something like a pair Tham 12's at the bottom of the stack would be a reasonable call for a compact sub situation that's a bit easier to build and packs a punch? They seem to be popular with lots of good feedback. I know a stack this small isn't going to tick ALL of the boxes for serious hifi listeners, but I'd like to get it sounding good while being realistic about my abilities and budget.

Really appreciate you dropping your knowledge!

Edited by tuffprawn - 12 February 2024 at 3:59pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 9:47am
I think your main challenge is to decide what to focus on: 12V&portability, or doing small venues with mains supply. Difficult to nail both with the same kit. 

For the record, I have no experience with 12V systems, but from what I have read it is definitely more finicky, and comes with more limitations that you have to consider and make design compromises around. 

Easier to throw together a small regular rig and use a generator on outdoor events.

Since you are catering to smaller events, it should be easy to get the ball rolling. If you have a good local second hand supply for audio gear, start to look around for good deals to build a little system (1 or two subs, pair of tops, amps, crossover, or why not even some active cabs )

Better to gain some experience running standard kit first to get a feel for it and knowledge on all the small stuff, devil is in the details. Run of the mill boxes will also be the most convenient to use in a home setup. "Reggae sound systems" are really biilt from the same kind of components, just with a different approach. 

With 0 experience & knowledge it will be kind of hard & overwhelming to try and make design decisions, as you will also get all sorts of partly contradicting opinions when you start asking for directions on here or any other place online. 

The trouble with the system in your picture is manifold: scaled down scoops, won't properly play bass below 60 Hz. Stack is only chest height, so in a large crowd the first two rows of people will absorb all of the high frequencies -> muffled sound that doesn't go far......

How important is the sub range to you? (30-45 Hz in practice)
Even with 70ies roots there are a lot of tunes with strong 35 Hz notes. 
The bass & sub bass range require the most amplifier power, and are hardest to reproduce properly.
tuffprawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffprawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 4:16am
So I've been djing roots reggae/dub for a while now and am finally ready to take the plunge and start planning my own system for use in small bars/venues and the occasional day out in the park spinning for a crowd of around 50-100ish. 

As far as things go, I basically know absolutely nothing. I've lurked the forums hard and it's a bit overwhelming but I'm down to put in the work to get this thing done by summer if it's not wildly expensive. I have have plenty of time and have access to tools etc.

Essentially, what I'd love to do is build a system just like the ones pictured below:
  • https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pkbzibdbh711jxq01k8gq/IMG_4253.heic?rlkey=2vkhsmr2wxl8cgsbn6j9r68kf&dl=0  
  • https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ysnq9qc2tj3zivhv35wzp/IMG_4252.heic?rlkey=jikt947oq0h44xnoy0pdwdta1&dl=0

I messaged the owner of the system for some insights but a friend built it for him and he didn't have too much info.

So I guess the questions I have are:
  1. How much should I expect to budget for something like this?
  2. Can anyone help me identify the speakers/plans used here or something similar that you'd recommend? 
  3. Best way to power a 12v system? Car battery/amp? Can it be plugged into a basic wall outlet?
  4. Would something like this also be able to double as a decent home system at low volumes?
  5. Any other helpful tips or things you'd personally change about this setup for my intended use? I'm pretty open to anything at this point but love the size/look of this rig.
Appreciate any/all help on this and PLEASE feel free to dish me off to other posts if this is all stuff that's been covered in the past. Excited to get the ball rolling on this. Respect!
 Post Reply Post Reply