Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Bullet - Slot - Tweeter - Super Tweeters ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Bullet - Slot - Tweeter - Super Tweeters ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Bullet - Slot - Tweeter - Super Tweeters ?
    Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:37am
Which Bullets, Tweeters, Slots or Super Tweeters are mostly used ?

Which ones are recommended to sound the sweetest/finest ?

There are quite a few, but some of common regular mid-priced used types!

Eminence
APT-50 / APT-80 / APT-150 / APT-200

P.Audio
PST Series...

P.Audio PHT-413 

Selenium ST350 Super Tweeter

img205/4181/seleniumst350supertweetvc9.jpg

img241/8683/seleniumst350supertweetne0.jpg

Fane
HF-250 / ST-5020 / ST-5022

img440/470/fanehf250bullettweeter0mb2.jpg

Fane%20St5022%20tweeter

Fane%20HF250%20tweeter (JBL 2402 Bullet Tweeter Replacements)

Beyma
CP22 / CP25 / T2030 / T2010

JBL Bullet Tweeters & Slots

img440/9678/jbl2405hslottweetersmlkz9.jpg

Fostex Tweeters

img175/8300/fostexft66hhorntweetersrl4.jpg

Selection from Blue Aran

Post what's used & mostly preferred, especially slots as not much is mentioned about these!

Cheers.

Edited by Tekasis - 29 October 2008 at 6:41pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:04am
Always preffered the Fane ST 5020/5022 Slots/Tweeters to the HF250. They are very loud and crisp sounding.

Im using some JBL bullets at the moment, cant remember the model number but they are also very loud and sweet sounding.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:11am
choice between slots and bullets will depend on the coverage you want - long throw, or short throw etc

personally, if you want long throw, go for a very good 1" driver on a good flare.

for smaller short throw boxes, slots can add a lot. can work well if used with a decent 1", crossed over at say 8KHz.

fanes and beymas as both good, as are the jbl's, but they should be for the money

the eminence units are very different on their structure. a proper bullet or slot is more properly called an anular ring radiator.
the diaphram is a ring which is clamped on ints centre by the bullet or axe head, and fixed on the outside to the magnet faceplate.
the ring construction reduces the size and the mass of the moving part. this improves transient response in the time domain, and frequency response. It normally also moves the first break-up mode to the 18 - 20k region.
the eminence tweeters are constructed like small cheap comp drivers - very similar to the old fane j105 horns that were very popular a few years ago.
im not saying there bad, just not as good as a proper bullet or slot.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 11:45am
I know many people who are switching from JBL/Fane Bullets to other solutions, purely because of diaphragm replacement costs.

Also 1.4"/2" comps are giving increasingly better high end, than the 5-6khz that they used to.

The Eminence supertweeters really do provide high powerhandling/spl/throw if crossed @ 10khz, and used in multiples of 4x.Wink

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq8

Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Another way of doing it is with the Eminence APT range of HF units. They do an APT 150, which has a CD horn and built in compression driver. The dispersion is nice and wide at 100w x 50v and these units sound quite good. They extend out to 20 KHz as well and are very cheap. You have to cross them over at 3.5 KHz and your 12” driver will be able to get that high. Use one of the Eminence crossovers too, the 2 way pxb2 3k5 is the one to go for. All Eminence crossovers have a light bulb for HF protection as well, this system works very well, I have never heard of anyone blowing up a HF driver with one of these crossovers, the bulb normally goes first. The pxb crossover is the cheaper option and you will have to mount it inside the cabinet somewhere, you might also have to use some kind of HF attenuation as well, although not too much. The other option is the px type crossover which has built in HF attenuation on a volume knob and built in speakon connectors as well, all you have to do is mount it on the back of you cabinet and your away. These Eminence crossovers are really good, I have used most of the passive crossovers on the market and these are the cheapest ones which don’t saturate, catch on fire and they last for years. The HF protection is a big bonus as well.

So you know which crossover to use, it’s down to you or your budget as to which HF you use. Best option is the 3 way with 8” on mid and a slot tweeter doing HF (see if you can find a Selenium ST 320), using the Eminence px or pxb3 5k crossover. Not the cheapest option this, but the best sounding. Not too far behind this would be the Eminence APT 150 horn with their px or pxb2 3k5 crossover. They also do lots of other APT horns as well, ones with different dispersions and also just the HF driver (APT 50) if you want to screw it on to a horn of your choice, although you might as well use the horns that come with the units like the APT 150.

The APT 50 driver is good for use on the back of coaxial drivers, where the HF driver sits on the back of the bass mid driver and fires though a hole attached to a horn in the center of the bass mid driver. These APT units are used in many commercial designs from lots of different manufactures. I Know that OHM use the APT 80 with 12” and 15” drivers in their RW range of speakers and they sound good.

Edited by levyte357 - 10 August 2008 at 11:52am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 11:57am
Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between UHF units, just the type that they are (APT, Slot, Bullet)
If I remember correctly, Selenium do a line.
You can actually find the more expensive slot tweeters on older hifi units, you know.

But I have a preference to the fane slot.

Don't forget a well done piezo array (yes, piezos can be made to sound acceptable), or a 1"
Away on extended leave.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

The Eminence supertweeters really do provide high powerhandling/spl/throw if crossed @ 10khz, and used in multiples of 4x.Wink 

I know you love these APT's, but have you ever heard the P.Audio PST-535's or PST-545's ?

Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Don't forget a well done piezo array (yes, piezos can be made to sound acceptable),

Clap Thumbs%20Up 
Many don't believe that or want to hear that, even if they've never tried it!

Edited by Tekasis - 10 August 2008 at 2:17pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

I know you love these APT's, but have you ever heard the P.Audio PST-535's or PST-545's ?

Have heard the Paudios blow very easily, so wont be buying any of those.

Did consider Beyma CP25, but I got 4x APT80 off Ebay, cheaper than 1x of those brand new. Wink

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 4:33pm

Have heard the Paudios blow very easily, so wont be buying any of those.

Depends on the models & if the operator does something silly!

Did consider Beyma CP25

Ain't heard these, but know the 22's sound sweet. Only thing I was worried about is their low power handling. (25w AES / 50w Program Power).

**Heavy Weight-Line**
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 4:35pm

I know many people who are switching from JBL/Fane Bullets to other solutions, purely because of diaphragm replacement costs.

Some change because the tweeters can't keep up with the rest of the system!

img440/5936/earthquakemidtopsboxesdl6.jpg

One thing about the APT's is the replacement diaphrams are cheap! (for all models)

img440/4218/eminencediaphragmforaptox6.jpg

Edited by Tekasis - 10 August 2008 at 6:56pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:12pm
Anyone tried these High power 4 inch Bullet Horn Tweeter PA HF250's ?

High power 4 inch Bullet Horn Tweeter PA HF250

PRO SERIES TWEETER

Professional quality tweeter with heavy die-cast aluminium housing fitted with powerful high efficiency Kapton voice coils and Titanium diaphragms.

Features:

• DIE-CAST ALUMINIUM FRAME
  • KAPTON BOBBIN
  • COPPER CLAD ALUMIUM VOICE COIL

Specification:

Power max. 100W
Power rms 50W
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency response 4kHz - 20kHz
SPL @ 1W/1m 92dB
Voice coil 37.5mm (1.5")
Magnet weight 340g (12 Oz)
Dimensions 100 x 100mm (4 x 4")

**Heavy Weight-Line**
Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:14pm
Have a look at the Selenium ST350, although you do have to import them.  Look at partsexpress.com
FSV Sounds
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Lyndon A Lyndon A wrote:

Have a look at the Selenium ST350, although you do have to import them.  Look at www.partsexpress.com

Cheers for that! Looks & sounds good Thumbs%20Up I'll add them to the main list on first page!
At 20 quid, they're worth a try. I'll get one brought over!

Edited by Tekasis - 12 August 2008 at 2:29pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>