FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 Highpass Filter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 Highpass Filter
    Posted: 11 October 2004 at 4:43pm

This will indeed get us bandpass characteristics. Of course higher freqs will 'escape' because the 'hole' is directly in front of the speaker... but I guess the low mids (100-250Hz) won't be good....

It's not only beaming I was talking about. It's more the fact that the mids, even if the freq plot is smooth, won't be that detailed. I have some really smooth sounding 15/2 type cabs, but it isn't comparable to 10" and smaller mids.....

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 10:09pm
a diffraction slot filter in front of a hot 15"  would tend to even out hot spot and horizontal dispersion to ~60 degrees off axis - but might introduce a cavity resonance

one might muck with 7"x10" or 8"x11.5" ellipse  - oval could look "naughty" so reason nuff to use (?)

Cardboard Slot on PV http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/PVLW
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 9:47pm

Of course, if you build already existing designs, they will perform like intended.

In my case most existing deisgns won't fit my needs.....

matttcattt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matttcattt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 8:49pm

Oh.

If the crossover frequencies are set for the designs im using, i dont have to do much planning really.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
(and my own bit)
If it is broke, fix it.
(and more)
If you can't fix it, take it apart and see how it "worked".
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 2:32pm

I think the HF driver has a highpass at 2kHz, but the 15" somewhere around 1100 or 1200Hz or such. This is because the HF driver has a big hump around 2kHz and below and the acoustic crossover frequency is much lower than 2kHz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matttcattt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 10:46am

I understand the problem, and I agree, a three way design, or smaller bass driver would be better, but would Rog design a speaker that wouldnt work well?

(and my own bit)
If it is broke, fix it.
(and more)
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2004 at 3:10pm

I don't think that a 15" speaker should go higher than 1200Hz. Even that is in many cases too much if you want clear mids. It's plain physics. A cone with voice coil has a certain weight. This weight will act like any accelerated mass. The bigger the cone and the VC, the higher the mass. And the higher the frequency, the higher the acceleration. So high frequencies AND big cone add up to 'not that good at all'.

It is NOT about 'mids are weak in SPL' or 'the freq plot isn't flat', it's more a question of details in sound.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matttcattt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 9:30pm

But the X15 is a 2 way design... A 15" will go up to 2k wont it?

I realise that I need to plan.

(and my own bit)
If it is broke, fix it.
(and more)
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 5:46am

It would be a good idea to consider 'filtering options' BEFORE you get your hands dirty.... Just think about the speakers you're going to use. If it's a 15" and a small 1" HF you know for example that you need to crossover the 1" very high (2kHz and above) and that the 15" won't play good that high.... so you know this wouldn't be a good box.

Or you want to build a 15" 3way cab. So you get an 8" for the midrange, now you have to check what's the lowest frequency the 8" can play well.

I don't mean that you should have the crossover ready before the speaker. I just think that you should know what you want first....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matttcattt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 7:47pm
LOL. So I need to build the speakers first, design filters later? Ok. Thanks for the advice.
(and my own bit)
If it is broke, fix it.
(and more)
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 12:46am

Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

And if it takes you longer than 30 days to measure your delays then you've got problems...

Or a really bad BP6 or higher.... :)

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2004 at 7:00pm

You can download the trial and use it for 30 days and decide yourself if it's worth it...

And if it takes you longer than 30 days to measure your delays then you've got problems...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>