FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6x9 enclosures?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x9 enclosures?
    Posted: 03 March 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Since you've already made stand-offs why not just find a sheet of punched metal and fix it to those. If really needed glue some speaker fabric to the sheet metal with (spray -on) contact glue. 

Yeah well that was part of the reason for those stand-off battens .... might get around to that.
I don't want to add much weight though - its quite chunky already.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 10:36am
Since you've already made stand-offs why not just find a sheet of punched metal and fix it to those. If really needed glue some speaker fabric to the sheet metal with (spray -on) contact glue. 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by mr. doom mr. doom wrote:

6x9 grills can't cost that much dude. 
LOL 

Yeah I prob should put some grills on there LOL .... but those concentric tweeter thingys stand proud of the rim of the driver so actually you need the "right" ones, which are not so easy to find in fact.

Anyway, I like the bodged-up/distressed look LOL

Might use some rusty chicken wire - Caribbean stylee .....
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 1:30am
6x9 grills can't cost that much dude. 
LOL 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 9:30pm
This thing :-

.... works remarkably well - but thats largely down to the much better than usual old skool JBL drivers - big heavy magnet and a bit of old-time JBL quality.

The box is solid (15mm ply I think) and sealed. I'd recommend something similar. Not entirely obvious from that pic, but its wedge-shaped with drivers angled upwards a bit. I added some BAF wadding to it.

Seems to play well down to about 60-65 with decent efficiency, and has quite a "meaty" sound to it driven by a Tripath 2020 amplifier.

1TrueTree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TrueTree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 9:15pm
cheers mess-tek, i'd already looked at most topics in the last three pages but i didn't see that.
anyway it's one of those coaxial style 6x9s so treble is ok.

didn't get as much done as i would have liked but i got all the panels cut ready for running over with a trim bit and straight edge, wapping up the rebate channels and screwing and gluing tomorrow.(if i'm not rained off!)

pics are of uneven boards ready for trimming and a little hindererLOL

Google: site:speakerplans.com + keywords
MessTek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessTek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 7:08pm
maybe a wedge with a 2" bolt on horn flare to the side of the 6x9, simple and cheap

pritty sure ive seen some on here before might be worth just going through a couple of pages and looking out for them
Stomp-Tek facebook us
1TrueTree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TrueTree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 1:45pm
i'm making a mate a couple of boxes out of offcuts from my first build, just to get my hand in really. i've not done any serious woodwork since i was at school(and that wasn't really serious!Smile).
He's living on 12volt solar so his main source of tunes is a car stereo(you call it a header unit no?) and some shite MOS  6x9s which he currently doesn't have in boxes. this tin pan sound is not doing the business for the dub basslines he loves! i know low bass is not really a possibility with these drivers but i'm sure they can be improved by a box.

i've done a bit of reading into this stuff elsewhere but not enough to find any answers. more wading through the bullshit of car audio!
 i'm planning to make some shallow boxes out of 18mm birch, i presumed sealed would be the way as i can't find a tuning frequency for these drivers but then i considered that these would normally be mounted in the parcel shelf with a large unsealed space behind them?

anyway i'll be working on them today so i can always add a simple port later. build quality is the name of the game with this one, i'll just be concentrating on good rebates and roundovers. build pics/finished article to follow.

I'd also be interested if you guys had any ideas on a possible real bass solution without loads of drivers. maybe a couple of light cone efficient 10" in a push pull?....

sorry for the numbskull post i usually prefer to do the readingClap
Ta
Google: site:speakerplans.com + keywords
 Post Reply Post Reply