FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First damage. B&C DE500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First damage. B&C DE500
    Posted: 10 August 2016 at 3:53pm
B&C prices are a lot more reasonable now Blue Aran have taken over distribution. Proel were completely useless.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2016 at 3:21pm
After "several" years, I would say you've probably just hit the MTBF (mean time between failures). 
Titanium is nearly magic, but not quite. A certain amount of flexing, and consequent work-hardening of the material, is a normal part of operation - and when the hardness goes past a certain point, poof! Metal confetti. 
If you were shattering them every month, you would be doing something wrong. Once in several years is not really anything to worry about though. Apart from having to buy a new diaphragm at B+C prices of course ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

To me that looks like it could be due to running high amounts of boost in the 8K plus region where the diaphragm is no longer working in piston mode, but is flexing. Often if the diaphragm has hit the bung hard, you can see the marks on the diaphagm

That's entirely possible.  More unusual on small compression drivers but seen it happen on large format ones where people have boosted them to try and produce frequencies they just can't do.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2016 at 2:12pm
To me that looks like it could be due to running high amounts of boost in the 8K plus region where the diaphragm is no longer working in piston mode, but is flexing. Often if the diaphragm has hit the bung hard, you can see the marks on the diaphagm
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2016 at 7:30pm
Which is exactly why i run all of my HF drivers behind a very big (Fc at least an octave below intended Xover frequency) MKP capacitor.
Best regards,
Teun.
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2016 at 6:50pm
Some amps chuck out some DC when switching off.   Crackle and pop are some of the sounds.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2016 at 1:24pm
Maybe, what slope?
mirenkoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirenkoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2016 at 12:15pm
Even when crossed at 2500Hz? Using DCX2496.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 10:40pm
This damage is typical for a diaphragm that ran too low a frequency.
mirenkoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirenkoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 9:57pm
Possible equipment switching on/off before amps. And no, no cap used between. Ill probably add them.
mirenkoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirenkoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 9:55pm
Coil is absolutely fine. Maybe switching off other equipment first instead of amplifiers? Not expensive repair, but still... Speaker is 5 years old. 
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 10:20pm
I have had this reoccuring on some Tannoy V15i cabs. They are run passive, but part of a active 2 way FOH.

DSP is set exactly as per settings in manual, and has look ahead limiters, and huge amount of limited headroom on amps. My opinion is low res mp3, rich in unnatural harmonics, creating square waves at HF.

Either that, or the Tannoy designed and built X-over's are crossing at too low a frequency, or at too low a rate per octave.

I would expect similar from these identically failed diaphragms.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>