FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound
    Posted: 30 September 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

He's not actually Mr pkn. I forget the name of the pkn engineer who has been on here a bit and he's always been professional and appropriate.

Fair enough
I'd be after a gagging order if I was them LOL
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:08pm
He's not actually Mr pkn. I forget the name of the pkn engineer who has been on here a bit and he's always been professional and appropriate.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 6:51pm
They've not really got much traction here in the UK from what I've seen, so I dont know of anyone who could give you an honest appraisal of them...

Personally, partly due to MR. PKN's behaviour, attitude and apparent cluelessness on this forum, I wouldn't expect that much from them. Nothing is free and they are claiming an awful lot of capability for amplifiers with zero Pro-Audio market penetration.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 3:01pm
Any thoughts on the PKN XE6000?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 10:14pm
Powersoft K10 is an ideal match to LABhorns - also the horn loading changes the real average impedance. If you wire them in parallel not series, the box ends up closer to 4 ohm average.

Edited by toastyghost - 29 September 2017 at 10:15pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 8:42pm
Depends on your budget...

A C-Audio SR707 or XR3801 would work well cheaply but would be heavy, whereas an MC^2 E45, E90 or E100 would also work well and be light but are obviously more expensive.

You could look into the SAE range as they are very solid lightweight amps that are alright on sub-bass on a budget.

As with most things, if you're going to spank the shit out of it then expect it to blow up, MC2, SAE or otherwise.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 7:49pm
We got the TMS-3s working now! Damn they punch.

We're soon going to order our 6 labhorns.

They will be loaded with the standard LAB12s (6 Ohm, 400W RMS). So that will be 12 Ohm, 800 W RMS per cab. We would link 3 together in parallel, which would mean 4 Ohm 2400W RMS times two.

Any recommendations for an amp that has around that output per channel, that can handle bass really well?

I would also like to thank everyone here, really learned a lot from this forum! Thanks to you guys we will now have a killer stack ready soon! :)
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:56pm
Already managed to find out all the wiring. We've discovered the polarity on the kicks was reverted, so we changed them back to normal. Our TSA 4-1300 should arrive soon, and we'll then see if that fixed the issue.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:23pm
Having used a PQM13 on some 18" BPHs, it WILL do sub.

It may not be THE BEST amp for sub but if you want light-weight at around the £1,000.00 mark then its at least worth getting one and trying it out. If you dont like it you can always send it back if you bought it new?

Ragging the tits off of one into some bins whilst trying to generate frequencies only a whale can hear I wouldn't be able to comment on but when thats the kind of behaviour that will also demolish an MC2/FFA/Etc. so what point are you trying to make?

-----------------

As for removing the Passive X-over in the TMS-3s... I assume they're on EP6 from that Picture?
It's slightly confusing what you're trying to work out as you're trying to trace the wiring from the middle instead from one end of the loom.

IIRC, the 10" & 2" in the TMS-3s were wired backwards for closest pre-DSP alignment.

I'd start at the EP6 and work forwards:

Signal  > EP6  >  Driver
LFneg- > Pin1  > 15" Neg-
LFpos+ > Pin2  > 15" Pos+
MFneg- > Pin3  > 10" Pos+
MFpos+ > Pin4  > 10" Neg-
HFneg- > Pin5  >  2" Pos+
HFpos+ > Pin6 >  2" Neg-
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:59pm
It doesnt give its stated power. You can search for yourself. Search for amps that on 2 ohms gives closer to 2*4ohm power than 1*4ohm power. If spec tells power for thd over 0.1% its indicator that some funny buisness is going in spec. Keep in mind P=U*I so amp that gives for example 5000W should have at least 20A powercon plug not 13A socket. At least those are guidelines.
There is no perfect solution here. Basicly if you want new amp its not doable with impulses in budget you are expecting.
In your situation I would be hunting ebay for classics.
Add to list fat audio ffa.
Its hard to say how much labs will take. Its not a standard speaker. I guess closer to program. But you have different music material. And as you see 1kW amp =! 1kW amp..

Edited by gen0me - 05 July 2017 at 8:08pm
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:28pm
3 prolines would be quite heavy and would take up a lot of rack space. Is there something smaller and more lightweight that could do the job? What exactly is the problem with the PQM13? As I read before, the labs do not require a lot more than RMS power.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 6:28pm
Sorry 3 prolines. 4ohm 3kw 2labs 750w/speaker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>