Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tops for 3 way dub soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tops for 3 way dub soundsystem
    Posted: 20 August 2021 at 10:58am
Hello all,
I've finally decided to pull the trigger on building my own sound system to bring the joyous thump of dub anywhere I please. 
One slight problem is I know next to nothing about speakers that produce frequencies above 200 Hz. 

To start the project off, I'm planning to build 4 of these https://www.avsforum.com/threads/devastator-an-ltd02-hybrid-design.3032394/page-17#post-58500062 

Which have a frequency response of:

I'm not looking to build anything insanely complicated for the tops, from what I know a 3 way system is better than a 2 way, but easier than a 4 way so that's what we're going with.

Budget isn't a huuuuge problem but I would rather not put down a small home deposit for this project. 

My question is: If going with a 3 way system, what frequency range recommended for the mid bins and what frequency range for the tippy top bins?
Any speaker plan combination recommendations for mids and highs is very appreciated, thanks for reading :) 

EDIT!!!!!!
Completely disregard what I said about the Devastator, this is now a help me design a 3 way dub soundsystem!!
We're going for scoop style subs, and ideally a 2 in 1 mid top bin!

Edited by blake8188 - 21 August 2021 at 10:49am
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 12:51pm
Hi. Never heard about this devastator, but the linked post looks like an enormous home theater sub - actually that's legit as you are quoting an home theatre forum. You can guess it's a cinema sub as it is tuned around 20 Hz, while for music 35 Hz is allready a low tuning - most dub sounds use cabinets tuned closer to 40hz.
Did you hear that in real life or how did you choose that design? 
It looks like it does 123dB theoretical with a 1000 watts at 40hz - will be less in real life due to power compression. That is very inefficient, most subs designed for music at dance levels will be far more efficient in a smaller package - in simple words, it takes two of this  devastator to do the same level as one single smaller sub over 40 Hz.
Then this is a bandpass design , as the hole and then the peak in the response suggests, your quoted 200hz frequency will sound very bad. If you want to use this for some reason - like you need 20hz to simulate explosions or scrren movies - consider a midtop working from 100 or better 80 Hz.
Easiest option ( and good sounding ) would be a 15 inch reflex midtop with a beefy compression driver. 1.4 or 2 throat. 18 sound and b&c have suggested designs.
But if you intend to play dub spend some time looking at what people use on this forum. Or better, go out listen to some sounds and take note of what you like.
Don't discount good old reflex boxes, seems boring but is the easiest way to achieve good sound, and takes less processing to get there, if you are new to this.
Going for more complicated designs, classic choices for dub are scoops and hogs, but many people are using bandpass and tapped horn cabinets too nowadays.

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 2:24pm
The devastator would also not be my choice for such an application.
For example the B&C S218, Keystone or SKRAM come to mind. Also some paraflex options (there is a whole FB group with al the info). This combined with a potent mid/high and you are ready to go. PM90 would be something to look at and can be made cheaper with the ND950 for example instead of a coax HF.

Note that if you go for a sub+kick and top, you will end up with a 4-way system.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2021 at 3:38pm
As said previously, completely unsuitable for purpose.

B&C 2x18 reflex fits the job, nicely.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
blake8188 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 8:31am
Let me start by saying these subs absolutely thump, only ever heard them for home theatre use though, makes you wanna hold onto the chair! 

I like tapped horn and bandpass horns, was hoping not going for a scoop design might help set it apart slightly. The scoop or hog subs are super cool but I'm not huge on the ones I've seen live before (could just be bad engineers). One thing that especially caught my eye for building a Dev is that there are no angled cuts in the design at all, which makes it a surprisingly simple build. 

I do want something with a bit of height for that classic sound system look. I was thinking of ordering a BFM Titan 48 flat pack for the subs since then I don't have to deal with precise angled cuts. I'm aware that there are mixed reviews of the BFM range so I'm being cautious about building them. If there are any 'simple' sub cab designs that will work for a 3 way system and give me some height could you point me in the right direction? I've been poking around this forum and various places on the internet and nothing seems to tickle my fancy just yet.
blake8188 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 8:33am
Okay, thank you for the info!

It does seem apparent that the Dev is sadly going to be the wrong choice for this project, I'll look into what you suggested too!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 9:50am
Look for Art Welter Keystone sub. Tall, easy to build, documented on diyaudio.com . 
It's a tapped horn design that will work better in a three way system than the devastator, and has a different look than most cabs. Will go louder , sound better, need less eq , and needs 1/4 of the power to reach same level at 40hz.
And most importantly, works outside of a living roomWink.

I believe you that they thump in home theater, but believe me - and other people telling you the same - they will be disappointing in a sound system setting - and burn drivers trying to achieve that thump inna dance.

Bfm - I would stay far....
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 10:34am
Wants soundsystem look, but doesn't want soundsystem subs, that will play dub/Reggae properly, and look right.

I'm definitely on speakerplans.com.LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
blake8188 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 10:42am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Wants soundsystem look, but doesn't want soundsystem subs, that will play dub/Reggae properly, and look right.

I'm definitely on speakerplans.com.LOL

Yeah allright I'll build scoopsCryLOL.
Lead the way to the best design!
blake8188 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

Look for Art Welter Keystone sub. Tall, easy to build, documented on diyaudio.com . 
It's a tapped horn design that will work better in a three way system than the devastator, and has a different look than most cabs. Will go louder , sound better, need less eq , and needs 1/4 of the power to reach same level at 40hz.
And most importantly, works outside of a living roomWink.

I believe you that they thump in home theater, but believe me - and other people telling you the same - they will be disappointing in a sound system setting - and burn drivers trying to achieve that thump inna dance.

Bfm - I would stay far....

I've looked at the keystone sub but I think I'd like to build a scoop.
Okay so avoid BFM... but for tops the Omnitop 15 looks perfect for what I need to do. 
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 11:10am
Omnitop 15 ?

You would be Better of with a dual 12" + 1,5" in simple reflex setup.

blake8188 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blake8188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Omnitop 15 ?

You would be Better of with a dual 12" + 1,5" in simple reflex setup.

Could you post some cab plans or prebuilts???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>