Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Total Newb looking for help with cabinet design
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Total Newb looking for help with cabinet design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teflongrizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Newb looking for help with cabinet design
    Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:07pm
Hi everyone.  

I have a Gauss 4583a that I would like to use in a Bass guitar rig but I need to build a cabinet for it.  I have tried it in a small trace elliot cabinet but it sounded rather lacking which I think was because the speaker was too small.  

I'm looking for a little direction into where to look to find/figure out dimensions and specs for a cabinet.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:21pm
Gauss 4583A is a 15" driver that was designed as a subwoofer to be used in large horn loaded PA cabinets so it is completely wrong to try and use it for bass guitar---Do not waste your time as it is totally unsuitable.
teflongrizzly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teflongrizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 7:23pm
Thanks for the information.  I'd still like to build a cabinet for the speaker.  Any information or advice?
teflongrizzly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teflongrizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by teflongrizzly teflongrizzly wrote:

Hi everyone.  

I have a Gauss 4583a that I would like to use in a Bass guitar rig but I need to build a cabinet for it.  I have tried it in a small trace elliot cabinet but it sounded rather lacking which I think was because the speaker was too small.  

I'm looking for a little direction into where to look to find/figure out dimensions and specs for a cabinet.

EDIT/CLARIFICATION: I stated above that I thought the speaker was too small which is incorrect.  What I meant was that the volume of the cabinet was too small for the speaker.  The trace elliot mentioned above also has a 15" speaker and the gauss physically fit into the cabinet just fine.  
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 9:18pm
heres some specs that may help you in making a cab for it

however, robbos advice, above, is probably pretty sound - if you do want to build something for it youll probably want to add a 10" or similar above to give you a bit more articulation
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:11pm
It'll work fine for bass guitar.
I'd probably just build a sealed box in the 50-75L range and call it good. The reason for a sealed box is that the cabinet's air spring will help prevent over-excursion, which can lead to damage quickly.

Treat it like the vintage driver it is, don't expect it to shake the whole venue, and it'll do you well.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply