Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble with crossover RCF Event 6000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble with crossover RCF Event 6000
    Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:14pm
I have came across some old RCF Event 6000 Fullrange 3-way cabs.

They are 2x 15"+1x8"+1".

In one of thecabs the high-mid sounds more harsh then in the other cab.

I have a photo of the crossover. Is it possible some component in crossover is broken?

Previous owner said that I should change all the resistors? What you guys say? What is likely to be the problem?

The speaker dont sound terrible its just one cab is smoother sounding then the other.

I really appreciate your help

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:27pm
first step in fault finding here would be to swap the high drivers from one cab to the other, to see does the problem move. if not, then the mid drivers..
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:51pm
Also check the board for dry / fractured solder joints and also lead out wires for breaks.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 11 November 2018 at 2:51pm
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 4:20pm
When further investigating this I saw one of the midrange was wired out of phase. When I now listen the sound is better can this really be it?

Next problem I have is 1 of the 15" woofers are loosing inte foam surrounding att one place. Is there any cheap solution for this without recone the whole woofer yet?

I also wonder which RCF model is it? On tag it says 15 530 can it really be rcf 15 lp 530?
Then its still available right?

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 5:54pm
Pic of foam surround? Shouldn't be foam, spec says polycotton.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 6:08pm
I would take picture later tonight.

How about the out of phase wired midrange can this really affect overall sound very much?
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 6:28pm

Out of phase midrange will make a big difference. 

Edited by Pinyorouk - 11 November 2018 at 6:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 6:35pm
Am I crazy when I felt that the out of phase 8” midrange was playing ”smoother” then the correct wired 8” that sounded little bit ”harder”?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:54pm
Polycotton it is sorry not foam. Has anyone repaired something like this with any success?

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 8:27pm
Going to need a recone, kit at Blue Aran is £101, new driver is probs best bet at £134.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 8:38pm
Is it even wort it to just try some fiberglass net and then some kind of rubberpaint over it just so I can test the speakers properly before buy new driver?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:20pm
Worth a go, find some fabric as similar as you can, then stick to the surround with PVA glue, leave to dry then peel back the gasket and glue to the frame with contact adhesive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>