Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truss again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truss again
    Posted: 20 March 2018 at 5:15pm
Before I hand over a few grand to Opti, is there any other tri truss worth considering around the same price point?

Essentially, I need 4x End Plates, 4x 50cm 3 way corners, 12x2.5m lengths 4x 1m lengths plus all the connectors.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 6:20pm
I have a personal dislike of Opti bolt together tri.
I personally own Global F33 (Prolyte spiggots) and Prolyte H30D and love the ease which it goes together and comes apart.
Depend if its for install or not.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 9:39am
Yeah the pins and eggs setup is so much faster than bolts.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 11:35am
Same old song - cross hire ability. What can you get hold of easily, what companies around you will want to hire from you. Opti has little weight capacity, dents easily, and the sleeve and clip or bolt setup is piss poor. I'm guessing this is primarily for your expo stand, but a Prolyte / Litec / Total fabs product would be where I would spend my money
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 12:03pm
Yep mainly for expo stand but also for use at the hall for stage lighting. Would you could Global as decent too? I know they do ProLyte compatible stuff.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:13pm
Personally I wouldn't mix and match different manufacturers truss, neither company's structual engineers would sign it off. Most companies I work for use a lot of global couplers and trigger clamps, which i've been very happy with, but most already have a truss supplier that they (generally) stick to. Coloursound use area 4 industries (james thomas and litec), GLS stock prolyte, Fentura stock Total Fabrications, etc.
One other thing I would consider is a 4 chord truss, the cost isn't proportional to the number of chords, say £120 vs £160 for a 2m stick (thomann prices) but the load carrying capacity (looking at centre point load) is more than double on a 10m span. It takes about the same amount of storage space, so no real savings there.
Buy once, cry once

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:18pm
Thanks James :)
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 3:21pm
3 chord also has the disadvantage of the corner pieces being 'handed' so to speak. Apex up or down etc. so less versatile.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:40pm
By 3 or 4 chord we mean tri or quad right?
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:40pm
Hi Sam

I have a Thomas / Tomcat GP12" Ground support system.

It cost me a whole lot more than the Optikinetics, Metalworx even Prolyte alternatives.

But I know its secure, Its is so versatile and can use the pieces to build various other structures. Plus the resale value is high.

I do have a bit of GP 18x12 for sale. Not enough to do what you want but its quality truss and im not after loads for it.

5 x 3m
2 x 2m
2 x 3way corner's

£1000+VAT

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:42pm
A lot depends on what you're going to do with it. For me the tri wins as it takes up less storage space and has more than enough capacity for 8m or less spans that I normally use.
The Prolyte H30D is very close to the Global F33 in terms of price (from the right place) so if buying all new you may want to go for that.
I have bits and bobs of both, with enough to either keep them separate or to only join between manufacturers on uprights rather than horizontal spans. There's nothing to call between them when they are joined, I believe they use the same cup and egg system on both.

I had 800mm square 6mm steel base plates made up by a structural steel fabricator I know who sponsors my racing. Basically free instead of the £300+ each that the manufacturers ask!
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:55pm
At the moment the Prolyte is coming in cheaper than the Opti 200 Shocked there may be a charity discount.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>