Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tube Pre amps ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tube Pre amps ?
    Posted: 25 September 2019 at 9:04am
I was wondering how to get the warmth of bass line you get in the old and heavy amps , but using the new Switch modes, and it occured to me that maybe a studio tube preamp might do the job, if it was done right ?

Has any one ever tried this, or is it just a wack idea?

I was thinking onlt to use on sub, and bass , no drive , not sure what other settings I would use...
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 10:27am
Oh NOOO!  :-)

These are making only distortion and badly modify the original music material.

Instead of those:

1. use proper sources
2. proper processing 
3. proper amplifiers
4. proper speakers
5. good cabling and layout

neither the speakers, amps or cables let undersized
NO preprocessing will give you extra dynamics if you do not have the power!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 11:06am
Yeah go for it! If you like or want to achieve a particular sound for vibes, do it!
What if Jim Marshall had built the cleanest amps possible? sound is subjective, enjoy what you do and others will enjoy too.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 11:49am
Yes, this is actually not all that uncommon on live shows as an insert FX, or in reggae style preamps as a post FX on the bass send to the amp.

Common units are the TL Audio on a budget, or Avalon 737/747 if you have cash.

Just be careful of overdoing it, as those harmonics will increase the coil heating element of the signal.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Oh NOOO!  :-)

These are making only distortion and badly modify the original music material.

Instead of those:

1. use proper sources
2. proper processing 
3. proper amplifiers
4. proper speakers
5. good cabling and layout

neither the speakers, amps or cables let undersized
NO preprocessing will give you extra dynamics if you do not have the power!

Valves introduce even harmonic distortion - which can enhance the listening experience, unlike the distortion introduced by semi-conductor devices. Valve pre amps on vocals - and in studios are very common.

And it´s all subjective. No problem in experimenting!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 3:30pm

I use an old Bellari Compressor and just feed the signal directly through the line in  bypassing the Compressor section. It works extremely well. Bear in mind, the Valve will play a factor on the amount of distortion coming into play. Most Valve preamplifiers use ECC Series so you can try ECC 81, ECC 82 and, ECC 83 to determine how much distortion you are aiming for.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 6:41pm
Guys thanks for the feedback and comments. Whilst I do wan t clean sound, I think as an insert as described might add a subtle warmth to the sound- I guess it depends on the cabs etc as well. I agree I would start with eth right cables, load, etc , and then add a small amount of warmth to loose the clinical feel of eth switch mode... ?

I love eth idea of using the valve on eth signal in, as then you still have all your processing , limiting etc. At the same time I really only want to affect eth bass, so maybe I would have to use a splitter first ( rack mount)
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 8:49pm
Just get some valve amps 
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 11:04pm
If you put the valve preamp or anything else to dirty it up solely on the bass channel which is then high passed doesn't that kinda not make sense? 
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 9:33am
Distortion will introduce harmonics, a part of them will be high passed by the x-over, but  the part that won't will give "warmth"

Remember crossover slopes are not a wall, if you cross at 100Hz there will still be content above (even if reduced) the steeper the curve the less content, but still have some.

So for instance a sub crossed at 30-140Hz, imagine a bass note that's a pure sine at 40Hz, and distort it a bit, you will create harmonics at 80 and 160 (and above) so the cab will be playing the fundamental + first harmonic + second harmonic (which will be attenuated by the low pass filter but likely to be audible depending on the filter topology/slope and cab response)

Also depending on how you set up the distortion harmonics will not be just on the octaves of the fundamental (I might be wrong on this one please correct me)

Another method is to introduce distortion after the x over but this method has many drawbacks so I wouldn't go for that route.

Best method would be applying that disto just on the right track at the mix level (ie just on the bass)

Another method would be having 2 crossovers, one for isolating a larger part of bass (let's say 30-250Hz) apply distortion on that, then mix with the rest of the signal (highpassed 25Hz-20KHz), and send that master to the system crossover, but this would also introduce many drawbacks for tuning the system right

Else, just clip them amps lol ;)

Edited by JBK - 26 September 2019 at 9:34am
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 1:00pm
I prefer spanking my drivers until they start making that bzzzz frying sound LOL
Can't say I also didn't think of putting something in the signal chain to "warm"  things up but it's so low on the list of priorities and cash is scarce. 
2 devices that spring to mind are the oto boum and elektron analog heat but never tried em so don't know how that would work,most probably the setting u find will be a one trick pony and it will get boring real quick. 

Budget option could be a media player which supports vsts then put an fabfilter Saturn multiband saturation and play with that.,that would imply ur using a laptop for playback tho. 

King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 1:25pm
I looked into this & was told to get that sound is not easy anymore, parts no longer exist.. optical filters not like they used to be.

I'm in agreement that it's a lot of effort to not gurentee satisfaction. No harm in testing though, to get what you want.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>