Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Festival Bin Drivers ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neonogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo Festival Bin Drivers ?
    Posted: 13 July 2012 at 10:35pm
Hi All,

Can anyone help me out with suggestions on a suitable replacement driver for some original turbo 218 festival bins?

From searching the forum I understand the originals were probably LS1802 ?
Is there a modern day driver that works well in these ?
Or what about a NEO driver? To save a little weight?
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 10:47pm
How high do they have to go?

I think these are very similar design to a USB/ES18BPH so anything that works is them should wok in the festival bin, someone may correct me.
neonogin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neonogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 11:00pm
Hi AM55

They need to go up to a Flood Box so about 140-180hz
I'll take a look at the designs you suggested.

Cheers Mate ;)
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 12:49am
In that case look at the Fane 18b 800. Davey T the designer of the USB recommended the 18b 600 if you need to stretch up to a high xover point and I assume the 18b 800 is the same driver just with the bumped up power handling figure that Fane applied across its whole range a while ago, it might be worth a PM to pauliepaul to clarify this.

Forum member Spesh uses the USB/18b 600 & flood combo and has reported good results.

Edited by AM55 - 14 July 2012 at 12:50am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 8:29am
Fane 600 neo, you are looking for a driver that is fast, the LS1082 used a 3" voice coil..
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 2:10pm
A PD188 works very well in these type of boxes too. 
neonogin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neonogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 11:15pm
Hmmm, decisions, decisions !

Has anyone had a play & listen to the drivers mentioned above in these boxes?
I would like to go NEO just to save a little weight.
I know there is not much in it, but every little helps !
It seems from shagnasty that a light weight cone / 3 or 4" coil is necessary.
Also seems to be a toss between Fane & PD. I know they are pretty much the same company these days, but I have been trying to fathom out the tsp on all the drivers mentioned & it seems PD's have a higher BL although less sensitivity? Apologies for dumbness, just been reading a lot of posts & Rog's take on tsp parameters etc.
How important is that in this box vs all the other factors involved.

It's a bit of a mine field for me, but I need help choosing a driver pretty soon.
I have never tried any of the proposed in the boxes & have no idea which is best.

HELP !!!!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 2:49am
We use Fane Col18B600n in something very similar to the festival bin with good results, one thing to consider is that if your baffle is drilled Fane, going to PD may be an issue if the holes don't line up.

Re-drilling a horn baffle in a Turbo stylee box is a mission...

Smile
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 2:07pm

Original festival bins, be interesting too see some pix.  I had a few at one time 1802 Fane loaded  

the rear loading does not leave much room so Neo gives more choice

Edited by 4D - 15 July 2012 at 2:09pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
neonogin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neonogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 3:51pm
Hi 4D,

If those are pics of festival bins, then maybe mine are not !

The drivers are loaded via an access (handle) panel on the side of the box same as the current F218 style box.

Other interesting thing is... having measured the basic dimensions of the box they are near identical to current Funktion One subs !
I think its only the height (lying flat) that is different... 501/2mm vs something like 495 for the F1 bins.
Otherwise they are incredibly similar.
The boxes were bought a few years back from Matt Snowball Music & have a small metal plate on the back (the size of an old female xlr chassis) that has the letters 'EM' stamped on it.
I will endeavour to get some pics up.
Maybe someone here knows what they are?
Or maybe they are dodgy copies of an F1 style box?

Anyway, I still need to driver them up, so any help would be great.

;)
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 6:51pm
The original FK1 bins were about 3/4 of an inch wider in that dimension than the current ones, I had a play with some Turbo/FK1 copy bins and the originals a few years ago, the only real diference was that the FK1s had a small lip at the start of the horn path like a HD15 does, you should be able to feel for this. I put current FK1 drivers in both. The FK1 bins were tighter but the the ones we were looking at buying seemed to drop a little bit lower (this is only one bin tested, I still love the sound of Super Sharp Shooter on a massive stack of FK218's). It might be worth looking at trying to get some of the latest FK1 drivers, they are comparable to other drivers mentioned pricewise and have been meticulously Refined by Tony and the farm possey to realy work in that cab.
blah blah blah blah blah......
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 12:51pm
6 years later...:

I have a pile of 218 boxes 99% identical to F218s, except they're 5mm wider, I also have a variety of mk1 cabs, I believe at least 3 versions was made: 1) pd loaded no badge, 2) fane loaded, 3) powered. I thought my boxes were Festival bins as I had the impression from some thread that they were something Tony designed & built prior to F218s

www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply