Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbomax Reflex - It begins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

That would make matters worse considering how small the box is. Inefficiency only plays a factor if the designer did not take in account how much room is lost in the internal chamber.

The weakest link is always the panel in which the driver sits on and, the rear wall of the enclosure. Having an 18-inch driver placed on an 18 mm board with no means reinforcement will have the entire box dancing around the venue.

Best Regards,

How on earth do you work that out, even if you just braced across the chamber space with 25 dia dowel the sides would be more rigid than with the corner braces.

Because of the size of this box baffle bracing is irrelevant, to get the baffle to vibrate (distort ) the driver frame would have to bend er. I don't think so.

Tony

SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Its a mid'ish BL driver, and I guess your cab is not far off 200L, so I reckon 24db @ 35hz will keep his trousers on.

Also, if you can, xover between 80-100, to really keep it warm and deep. You'll probably get away with approx 1kW input like this, but may need 48db slope at each side for that.

PS:It is of the utmost priority you bridge one of the larger PLX/PLX2 chappies across a pair of your cabs.

You will be suprisingly impressed in a few areas. Wink

If anyone has a PLX near Bradford/Leeds I will happily oblige but not got one handy myself
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

That would make matters worse considering how small the box is. Inefficiency only plays a factor if the designer did not take in account how much room is lost in the internal chamber.

The weakest link is always the panel in which the driver sits on and, the rear wall of the enclosure. Having an 18-inch driver placed on an 18 mm board with no means reinforcement will have the entire box dancing around the venue.

Best Regards,

How on earth do you work that out, even if you just braced across the chamber space with 25 dia dowel the sides would be more rigid than with the corner braces.

Because of the size of this box baffle bracing is irrelevant, to get the baffle to vibrate (distort ) the driver frame would have to bend er. I don't think so.

Tony

What are you basing that on?

Have you ever experienced 18-inch drivers shaking the enclosure to the point it begins to move?

I have yet to see an 18 mm panel maintain it's strength holding a 13.6 kg 18-inch driver while it is moving as a piston without the aid of bracing under long-term conditions. Having to fasten your bass cabinets together with straps to prevent movement @ high SPLs means the box is too light to manage the air pressure build up caused by the woofer. Finding yourself tightening the T-Nuts from time to time is another sign of the box not braced enough to prevent the driver from flexing the baffle board.

There is a huge difference generating 40 – 30 Hertz when the air pressure increases in the cabinet substantially oppose 60 – 50 Hertz in a reflex bin.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 6:07pm
Seen that a lot Elliot!
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:11pm

Have you ever experienced 18-inch drivers shaking the enclosure to the point it begins to move?

I have yet to see an 18 mm panel maintain it's strength holding a 13.6 kg 18-inch driver while it is moving as a piston without the aid of bracing under long-term conditions. Having to fasten your bass cabinets together with straps to prevent movement @ high SPLs means the box is too light to manage the air pressure build up caused by the woofer.

Normally true...

I would say best assembled/constructed/most braced cabs I have ever owned are ASS 18" scoops.

However, Paulus has got these to move around with enough power, and Turbomax drivers. Shocked

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:29pm
It's everything, not everythink!
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:15pm

Tony

[/QUOTE]

I have yet to see an 18 mm panel maintain it's strength holding a 13.6 kg 18-inch driver while it is moving as a piston without the aid of bracing under long-term conditions. Having to fasten your bass cabinets together with straps to prevent movement @ high SPLs means the box is too light to manage the air pressure build up caused by the woofer. Finding yourself tightening the T-Nuts from time to time is another sign of the box not braced enough to prevent the driver from flexing the baffle board.

There is a huge difference generating 40 – 30 Hertz when the air pressure increases in the cabinet substantially oppose 60 – 50 Hertz in a reflex bin.

Best Regards,

[/QUOTE]

I am basing that on experience and oh yes a degree in structural engineering!!

As I sell BMS products in the UK and personally use 18N850's in my own boxes I might have some idea.

For your information the pressure in a 18" reflex box even with a very high Xmax driver is in fact actually very low. Do the maths!!! If your bolts come loose simply put a low strength thread locking agent on them.  Trust me small baffles like the one above do not flex.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 06 July 2009 at 8:27pm
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:44pm
lookin awsome mate., buidin 2 of these (b&c desighn) in two days Wink

good luck with the finnish
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:17am
Forgot to add the movement of whole cab is caused by vibration. Google "vibratory conveyors" if you want to see how effective this can be.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 07 July 2009 at 8:39am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

I am basing that on experience and oh yes a degree in structural engineering!!As I sell BMS products in the UK and personally use 18N850's in my own boxes I might have some idea. For your information the pressure in a 18" reflex box even with a very high Xmax driver is in fact actually very low. Do the maths!!! If your bolts come loose simply put a low strength thread locking agent on them.  Trust me small baffles like the one above do not flex.

Tony

The vibration comes from the woofer, which in turn will cause the box to move if the cabinet is too light. The only way to reduce box vibration is to brace the essential parts of the cabinet where the root of the vibration resides. Since the baffle board is the weakest link in the box, it would help if the wood were either thicker and/or braced to combat vibration caused by the speaker.

If the box is not properly braced when the driver is moving like a jackhammer, it will cause the whole enclosure to move forward, backwards, left or right. I’ve experienced this throughout the years owning Scoops, Folded Horns and, Double Fifteens playing bass. All of the boxes were rather light (63 kg total with speakers) and found no alternative but to use multiple straps or C-clamps to keep the cabinets uniform. There is nothing sweeter than hearing 3 C-Clamps per side adding it’s own characteristics to the bass.

Learning from those cabinets, I braced my Double Eighteens heavily (36 mm baffle board with a two-by-four skeleton braced frame) in which, all movement of the cabinet ceased while using twice the piston power per box. I prefer having my cabinets remaining where I set them once the show is over than finding each cabinet facing in all the wrong directions.    

I's great to view things from technical standpoint. I may even come across that way with my replies. However, I use a combination of book knowledge and real world experience on every aspect of audio.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:09pm
Elliot,

I think you will find it is added mass that is stopping your cabs from moving!!!

I will say one more time on the box as shown in the original photo the thickness of the baffle is almost immaterial as the driver frame will be taking most of the load. Where it is transferring this load back to the wood it is already more than stiff enough due to the close proximity of the side walls acting as a brace.

You could probably get away with 10mm (3/8") without it flexing in the slightest.

Now if it was in the middle of a 4 foot square baffle, that is an entirely different matter and would need either a thicker component or bracing (or even a stronger material).

Now the inside part of the port on the above box that's a different story and wants bracing to stop it flexing.

Best Regards

Tony
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:34pm
I have to agree with Elliot. A thick baffle is very effective, even if the total baffle is only slighty larger then the driver. In that case using 36mm instead of 18mm will also not cost you many internal litres. Because of the cut-out for the driver, almost no wood remains.

Best regards,

Walt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>