Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turn off pc or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 1:29am
I do a suspend to ram on my desktop overnight to reduce power consumption but it's on all the time I'm in the house and awake.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:46am
Windows leaks RAM. Anything with SQL on it leaks like mad.
One of hundreds of queries about this

Performance will deteriorate if you don't re-boot every now and then.
   Not so with Linux/Unix leave it on forever.
    I started to switch off my workshop PC last year. I recon on about 70p a day saving,   having said that its a big lump.

Just my opinion
It's everything, not everythink!
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:07am
Maybe I'm just paranoid but I turn all all hifi, tv pc,s wall warts etc off every night before bed, I consider all of these items a small but increased fire risk to leave switched on.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:43am
Just imagined a PC on a hospital bed in a comaStern Smile
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 11:21am
Originally posted by COWFOOT COWFOOT wrote:

Does it matter if it's a laptop or desktop ? Turn off or not?

I have never turned off my laptops for the past 5 years, except when I leave home for a longer period of time.

never had any issues, but I have to reboot them every 2 weeks or so, because windows XP seems to slow down after a while...

BTW , I only use low consumption fairly high tech notebooks (Toshiba portege)
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 11:48am
I'm with Jake.. sleep soundly, turn everything off every night, save on electro magnetic pollution, save on power and save on fire hazards..ok component life is shortened but hey.. whats consumerism for
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 9:29pm
daily switching off does lead to increased wear in moving parts (hard drives and fans), but does save power. Remember that 'hibernating' or putting your system to 'sleep' has the same effect - as the fans and HDs power down...
cnics View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 12:51am
I have a PC and a laptop,  since having this laptop (just over 2 months) i've found yself using the PC less and less.   Before i had this laptop (particularly the 5 months stretch after my old one broke)  the PC was used all the time.  For the last probably 10 years it's been on constantly, even when i go away. The only times it's gone off are to upgrade / change something internally (at which point it gets a clean too), a power cut, or a couple of times when i've been away for longer than a week.

Since i've used this laptop more the PC's been switched off more often, to the point of i'll switch it off if i go away for a couple of days, and it wont' get switched on until i NEED IT. (i do audio stuff on there from my HD24 from live shows, and other stuff).  I've had nothing but trouble.  Fans clogging up, ram issues,  pain in the arse.

Whilst on the subject of failures,  MUSIC.  PLAYING MUSIC.  it's the worst thing you can do.  Seriously.  If you're playing a CD then it's not so bad. But i'f you've downloaded things on itunes or ripped from a CD and you're playing from a hard drive. It really does give the disc something to think about.  It's not reading alot,  but its constant realtime stuff. And of course, we all do other stuff at the same time.  Solid state is the way forward.
Rob Beech - Technical Director - Cnics Audio
Rick C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 3:26pm
nah off or hibernate it as your disk will be spinning for no reason if you leave it on and shorten its life.

Edited by Rick C - 15 April 2009 at 3:27pm
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Rick C Rick C wrote:

nah off or hibernate it as your disk will be spinning for no reason if you leave it on and shorten its life.

+1.

Also, careful if your house burns down. Did you leave the PC on sir?  Negligence is a posibility.
It's everything, not everythink!
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 1:12am
Originally posted by COWFOOT COWFOOT wrote:

Suppose the fan goes.Is there some kind of sensor that will detect this and shut off the system or will heat just build up and then poof,flames,ceiling blows away,roof collapses,firetruck arrives !!!  

most computers force themselves to shut down when the cpu temperature reaches a certain level, usually about 90 degrees. This is to prevent damage to components rather than fire though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12