Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turner Amplifiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 9:48am
[QUOTE=jbl_man]Nice.Some serious old school heavyness....needs to be on wheels really.

Ian, are we talking about Gavin or the amp rack!!!  TongueTongue
Seriously though, they are a couple of solid amplifiers that sound more powerful than their rating suggests.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Scottyurbanfront View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyurbanfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2024 at 9:29pm
Can anyone guide me on some prices of the 302 and 502 amps Bless Scotty 
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 3:28pm
I went through a phase of picking these up as I got a bunch of A500’s given to me for free so thought I’d build a few racks just for the fun. I paid between £30 and £120 for them, average I’d say was about £80. Only one of mine has the VU meters as these command a higher price for the HiFi market. They usually get advertised for around £250-£350 but I don’t think anyone buys them at that price. 

They’re great sounding amps but getting very old and need at the very least new caps all round. I had one stack (2 x A500 on bass, 1 x B502 mids and 1 x B302 for comps) out last weekend for a mates 50th and the amps were only 5 years younger then the person whose birthday we were celebrating. Thats 16 rack units and god know how many kilos for less than 1.5kw of power but it was a pub gig and sounded mint with some jungle through it! PM me if you want.
blah blah blah blah blah......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyurbanfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 5:07pm
That's great thanks.. I have 5 in all 2x 502 both diff with xlr on front of 1 and 1x 302 in Black, 2x A500 in silver both diff with one having meters on front.. all power up, will test the outputs on them later this week, I have so much vintage equipment amps, speakers/drivers, cabs, mixing desks etc to go thru left by a friend who passed..  inc paper work for so many oldskool components.. not sure how to post pics on here.. Bless Scotty 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 8:33pm
you need over 5 or is it 10 posts in order to send PM's and post images. Where are you based? Email me at - matt at leeway dot org dot uk - if you want any other info. When you power them up, just stick a meter on the outputs before you connect them to anything as they don't have any form of speaker protection if they've gone DC and could fry drivers easily.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyurbanfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 9:55pm
Yeah will do and thanks for info so far.. Bless Scotty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyurbanfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 9:55pm
Bristol based
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2024 at 10:36pm
Cool, will keep an eye out, I'm in Manchester but have plenty of friends down Bristol way.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2024 at 7:48pm
Before powering them up, check the two large electrolytics mounted throught the rear panel. They are usually rated at 63V, and if your mains is over 240V the DC rails will probably be a volt or two more than that. Consequently they are highly stressed and don't last very long.
When they start to fail, they leak electrolyte and make a horrible mess. After cleaning that up, they have to be replaced with 100V types, which are now horrendously expensive. It's also a good idea to fit DC protection boards (Vellman made a kit, I think they are still available under a new name).
Aside from that, they are lovely amplifiers. I still have four B502s.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2024 at 8:32am
Yup, as Mad boffin says above. I saw the images of Scottys amps about a week ago on a facebook group, and, with due respect, are not in great condition, with corrosion, old original capacitors, bent panels etc, so each one will need a good overhaul, even if they do work, I certainly wouldn't want to connect any speakers to them in their present condition. 

Edited by jbl_man - 05 February 2024 at 8:40am
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12