Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tweeter choice for new tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tweeter choice for new tops
    Posted: 20 August 2018 at 1:18pm
I have planned to make my mid/tops out of 8 x JBL 2118J (4 for each speaker).  Something different this time! 
What do you think, is some kind of slot- or bullet tweeter enough with these eights or should I go for 1" comp driver + horn combination?  2118J should be ok for up to 4Khz or so..

Still not quite sure what kind of enclosure to make for 2118's. Horn loaded, reflex or sealed.. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 20 August 2018 at 1:37pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 9:57pm
So you're gonna stack 4 eights in a column with a CD on top? It'll be loud for sure, I'd suggest a CD too for sure, bullets should only be used as super tweeters.. 8-10khz and up.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 10:17pm
My favourite home hifi crossover was ~7" crossed to bullet at 4,5kHz
And those bullets were known of giving up but they had 0,75" vc or even smaller.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 10:43pm
if you care only a Little bit about Dispersion, you dont want to cross a line of 4 x 8" higher than ~1700Hz. So i would suggest a nice 90 x 40 horn with a 3" voice coil CD. My favourite in the Moment is the 18sound ND3T, exceptional Driver!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 6:07am
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

if you care only a Little bit about Dispersion, you dont want to cross a line of 4 x 8" higher than ~1700Hz. So i would suggest a nice 90 x 40 horn with a 3" voice coil CD. My favourite in the Moment is the 18sound ND3T, exceptional Driver!

Oh yes, i have schatched my head about dispersion pattern.  I do have two big p.audio 90 x 40 horns (18" wide) and 2" BMD750 drivers for them, just quite huge with 8" mids because my vision was anyway two narrow enclosures, 4 mids and horn/tweeter in a nice row :)

I think 4 x 8" is loud enough without horn construction  (like MT102 etc) anyway, no need for super long throw.

Edited by Tonskulus - 22 August 2018 at 6:09am
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 7:20am
Do you plan to build more tops and array two aside ?
My initial thoughts were you don't wanna make a line of 8's with a horn on Top , you need to think about the spacing between acoustic centres and the relevance of the wavelength at crossover frequency !
I'd be looking at a block of four 8's with a horn in the centre of them or a block of four 8's (2x2) with the horn above !
I'd also be entertaining a v baffle with a reflex design to bring the acoustic centres Evan closer , will just make for a better phase integration and dispersion around the crossover frequencies !
Is also probably be looking at 8's that have a decent kick response and mayb roll off a little earlyer at the top end as once you work out your acoustic centres it's gonna push the ideal cross frequency down anyway ,which means a bigger horn and a box that's aimed at high spl , which means your gonna really have to think long and hard about compression driver choice !

Just a few thoughts anyway :).
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 7:25am
I'd also add , I reckon it's Easyer for most people to design a box rite in the first place when it comes to driver positioning and crossovers than try to correct a bad design with processing , setting up speakers that try there hardest not to align isn't a menial task lol
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 9:52am
Why not four double 8" boxes in d'appolito configuration? 😛
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by matty w matty w wrote:

I'd also add , I reckon it's Easyer for most people to design a box rite in the first place when it comes to driver positioning and crossovers than try to correct a bad design with processing , setting up speakers that try there hardest not to align isn't a menial task lol

True that, indeed. Anyway, I have those 8 x 8" JBL's which should be very good mid drivers so I really want to make something for them :)
At first place I was just thinking to put them as vertical row and tweeter/horn somewhere beetween. I have seen many good sounding speakers having 2x8" and horn, just wanted to add two more 8" drivers..'

When it comes to high frequencies, horizonal multiple driver placement is always bad thing because of comb effect, just wondering how bad it is at mid freq band if I make something like bose 802 style (but 4 drivers instead of 8) and tweeter in center. But it is just so stupid looking thing, vertical row looks better for my eyes :D
Vertical placement should make vertical dispersion narrower and wide horizonal dispersion which is actually good thing here! 
Ofcourse I can just make some different baffles for those drivers to see and listen which one is best.

Edited by Tonskulus - 22 August 2018 at 10:01am
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 3:47pm
Just a thought, why not something like a Panaray baffle, ala Bose 402? Would be a pain to make though!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 7:14pm
something like the little bms 4524 on say faital pro lth102 horn would do the job
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 7:41pm
hmh, so many options here.. this is going to be difficult. Need to think about this deeper!
Well I do have other midbass/mid drivers too like many 12" and 15" rcf's (L15P540, L12L750 etc).. first I was thinking to use some of these as mids, which would make things a little bit easier.  Basic stuff, 12 or 15" + 2" comp driver. Just want to make something special but without compromises when it comes to SQ.
I may have collected too much and too many different drivers, so hard to decide which one to use.

My subs are two RCF LF18X400 loaded Hogs, and soon there will be also two tham15's for smaller parties. Still no kick cabs, but we played one weekend session with hogs and jbl sr4722a's and it was okay. But ofcourse, those JBL's was doing their best and working very hard! 2x700Wrms amp was pushing up to it's limits all two days and nights (sorry voice coils I know you had some hot times there but I had to do it, thank you for survining!).  That's why I really need to make something bigger and propably louder.

Edited by Tonskulus - 22 August 2018 at 7:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply