Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate kick bin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

I can't find much on the F2B as far as plans (as you said) Surprising, considering how old it is.

The trouble is, as I have mentioned in another thread, that this is a very difficult box to build. As well as the plans, you need a couple of people with plenty of expertise in building tricky cabinets. Plus ideally a CNC machine to do all the rebating, although the originals were built in a woodworking factory equipped with Wadkin copy routers (the ones where you follow a jig on a pin) and full size dimensional saws plus all the usual air tools.

You also need to be willing to make at least one sacrificial prototype box (built screwed but not glued) to find out what needs to be tweaked to make everything fit together properly. And you really need to borrow an original cabinet as a reference to visualise how it all looks when complete.
Bear in mind that 19mm plywood has a tolerance of 1mm or so, which means that the cutting dimensions, rebates, etc have to be referenced to the centre line of the cabinet (as they are on the original drawing). It's all quite fiddly to get right.

The boxes have to be properly screwed as well as glued, otherwise they will eventually develop rattles. Pilot holes for the screws are drilled along the rebates in the two main panels before assembly. You can find out where the screws are in an original box without having to strip the paint, by feeling for them with a small magnet held in the fingers like a pencil. This will also find some staples - they were used to hold some parts in place during the very complicated assembly, which has to be done quickly before the glue starts to go off.

The first part of the horn flare uses a couple of pieces of softwood, each cut to a specified profile. Everything else is in 19mm plywood, except for the baffle which is made in two parts (both 15mm if I remember right).

Is it alot different than the Mk3? 

When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:29pm

I can't find much on the F2B as far as plans (as you said) Surprising, considering how old it is.

The trouble is, as I have mentioned in another thread, that this is a very difficult box to build. As well as the plans, you need a couple of people with plenty of expertise in building tricky cabinets. Plus ideally a CNC machine to do all the rebating, although the originals were built in a woodworking factory equipped with Wadkin copy routers (the ones where you follow a jig on a pin) and full size dimensional saws plus all the usual air tools.

You also need to be willing to make at least one sacrificial prototype box (built screwed but not glued) to find out what needs to be tweaked to make everything fit together properly. And you really need to borrow an original cabinet as a reference to visualise how it all looks when complete.
Bear in mind that 19mm plywood has a tolerance of 1mm or so, which means that the cutting dimensions, rebates, etc have to be referenced to the centre line of the cabinet (as they are on the original drawing). It's all quite fiddly to get right.

The boxes have to be properly screwed as well as glued, otherwise they will eventually develop rattles. Pilot holes for the screws are drilled along the rebates in the two main panels before assembly. You can find out where the screws are in an original box without having to strip the paint, by feeling for them with a small magnet held in the fingers like a pencil. This will also find some staples - they were used to hold some parts in place during the very complicated assembly, which has to be done quickly before the glue starts to go off.

The first part of the horn flare uses a couple of pieces of softwood, each cut to a specified profile. Everything else is in 19mm plywood, except for the baffle which is made in two parts (both 15mm if I remember right).

Is it alot different than the Mk3? 

Yes
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:06pm
I wouldnt discount 12"s, the RB212 is a pretty good kickbin! Dont think the plans are publicly available though..

I use USB's personally but im sure there are better out there...

The Void Stasys 8 for a start is brutal on kick, although it eats drivers
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:29pm

This is just making me more curious to see the plan
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

I wouldnt discount 12"s, the RB212 is a pretty good kickbin! Dont think the plans are publicly available though..

I use USB's personally but im sure there are better out there...

The Void Stasys 8 for a start is brutal on kick, although it eats drivers

Thanks

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:41am
Very little information around about them but the Opus HB215 should be on the list IMO.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:46am
Thanks. I had never heard of them before....

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

This is just making me more curious to see the plan

I've been looking for the F2B plans for 20+ years and have never found it. Unless someone's got access to a filing cabinet in MA I really don't think it's gonna be in the public domain. Your only hope is to find one, (there's loads been shipped to Africa for some reason), and cut it open and measure.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:46pm
I haven't seen trapezoidal bass bins used much. (Ref. Opus HB215).

Edited by APC321 - 03 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

I haven't seen trapezoidal bass bins used much. (Ref. Opus HB215).

Noise Control RGW112 was a particular favorite trapezoid kick bin that I've used many times... and I have to say I've never seen a blown one ever. Ported horn with correct driver seems to last longer than me !

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 1:12pm
stop being a bunch of tight arses and upload the bloody plan. I doubt very much anyone will make a dime from it and it is as old as.
Also madboffin don't under estimate the skills of some diy builders. they will try and try again because they do it for fun. not for the dime.
Some people just want to see it.
Just think of the number of hits sp will get.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 1:13pm

One of these a side & two sturdy legged crew

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>