Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate kick bin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Not only that but it's funny to read comments from people who have never heard a stack of F2B's talking about them as kick bins.

+1
They are definately broader deployable than just kick bin.
Never owned any myself, but worked a lot with them as a freelancer in the nineties during pretty big open air festivals. Sometimes we didn't even use subs, just dozens of those F2B.

Agreed Peter, a big stack of F2Bs is a monster at 45/50, funny but scoops are still revered as subs but would be destroyed by a similar sized F2B stack lol, (let the fighting beguine).  

Clap
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:04am
this is the most detailed drawing I've seen of the F2B Big smile

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:33am
I wonder if that drawing is to scale, with the external box dimensions you could get a rough idea of the internal dimensions. It even has the unfolded horn length! If I find some time in the next week or two, I might try sim it in hornresp. 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:04am
Okay, I couldn't help my self, it honestly went better than expected, I suspect that image is based on an actual internal drawing, driver is PD.1550.  1 pixel = 9mm

single F2B 4ohm load

2 F2B, series parallel, 8ohm load

Edited by citizensc - 09 May 2020 at 5:06am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:44am

This is likely to either be the original driver, if not very very close. ATC still provide this unit.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:36am
I couldn't find the Le so I just set it to 1.5mH, doesn't appear to have any impact in the usable bandwidth anyway. Seems to be quite useable down to 50hz with 2 F2B coupled. 

Pa100-375 Bass

Edited by citizensc - 09 May 2020 at 8:38am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:35am
blc driver i think i've read?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:39am
there is a throat chamber of the air between the driver and the baffle.
I suspect that the throat area is about 350cm2 and expands in both directions in that first throat section.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:37pm
nice one guys. If it is to scale just think about the 15 inch driver that is a great start point. it's 15 inch. also the external dimensions of the box are available.
Thanks again. interesting stuff.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

there is a throat chamber of the air between the driver and the baffle.
I suspect that the throat area is about 350cm2 and expands in both directions in that first throat section.

Do you mean a chamber extra to what is pictured? or the bit I have colored in red? 

Maybe you could roughly draw it on so I understand? 

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:03pm
the volume that is above the cone of the speaker diaphragm, the top of it is the baffle that driver is bolted to. there must be a hole (porbably rectangular) through that baffle linking the front chamber to the throat (the bit you've coloured red).
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:52pm
I find all of this highly amusing because when I gave our cabinet maker an empty original F2B he had a fair bit of fun measuring everything so as to get the correct measurements, angles and sizes and then swore at me when I told him that I wanted the cabinet stretched by 2.5" to enable the speaker cavity to take large chassis/magnet drivers as only the ATC(long coil bass with linen surround) or an RCF driver would fit in the original cabinet.
Even the driver rebate dia had to be made deeper and larger in order to accommodate more modern drivers with greater Xmax than the originals so the cabinet is a bit of a nightmare build for accomplished professional builders so anyone who is thinking of attempting to build without an original to copy or a proper full drawing---I wish them the best of luck as they are going to need it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>