Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ultra compact mid tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 3:34pm
Whats the problem in ordering them non painted then?

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 3:48pm
he says as they manfacture them in batches, he can't do them unfinished Disapprove
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 7:11pm
Found these which look interesting for mid range but could I mount a compression driver in front of for like a point source type setup?
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 4:00pm
been messing about with a design but not sure if it would work. no measurements as such at the moment just seeing how certain designs might look like.

would this design work? any issues i should look out for?

So the red portion will be the chamber for the subs which is fine and the green area where the ports will exit....but will i have any issues in the grey area? will it act as a second chamber?

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 4:21pm
That's a reverse loaded, 4th order bandpass box. 
The chamber in front of the drivers will definitely have an effect. Because all the energy has to exit through that port, I very much doubt you would be able to get the crossover point from the 12" to the large horn high enough for it to work. 
Bandpass boxes are normally only used up to about 150Hz, and even then you want a nice large port right in front of the driver to get coherent sound, rather than one that's around the corner from the back of two drivers. That design will probably only have clean output up to about 100Hz, and you'll never get the big horn to play that low.
I reckon your best bet here is to make a reflex loaded 12'/1.4" box, and not make your own life too difficult ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 4:41pm
Ok thanks man. Consider it scrapped!

Here's another slightly conventional and more reflex type box with a port at the bottom...again no measuring just yet just design at this point. I've angled the sub purely to keep the box as small as possible but will it cause any issues?

By the way the drivers will be the sonitus mr8xt at the top, bms 4552 in the middle with the 18sound xg10 waveguide and 12nd930 12" woofer. 

Edited by stalian87 - 01 November 2019 at 4:43pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 11:03pm
Why not just follow the layout of the orbits? 

Either that out take a look at the peter Morris designs.  Might give you inspiration. 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 11:14pm
Simplest and most compact option?

Reflex box, 12" + 1.4".  If you want to stick with 18Sound the ND1424 on XR1464 would be perfect.  The 12ND930 will work fine in that design.
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 11:36pm
Thanks for the replies. Yeah i guess that is a pretty compact. The only issue i have with the 12+1.4” is how high id need to cross over the sub...

Ive changed the design to simply put the sub in line with both horns so the box is taller but also much slimmer.

Would love to do an orbit 4 type box but never done That type of design before and bit worried about making my own horn flare etc
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by stalian87 stalian87 wrote:

The only issue i have with the 12+1.4” is how high id need to cross over the sub...

I'm not sure what your reasoning is here.  A reflex box should allow the lowest crossover point of pretty much any design.
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:09am
1.4” driver wont go lower than 1.2khz. For me thats quite high to crossover to a sub
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:13am
Would much rather build a 3 way and cross over lower
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>