Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UMIK-1 and REW outdoor ground plane setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UMIK-1 and REW outdoor ground plane setup
    Posted: 23 August 2022 at 7:01pm
Finally got round to buying myself a UMIK-1 measurement microphone! Been reading and watching a ton of videos about it all this last couple of days to get my head round it, and to not mess it up.

Ive watched a fair few videos of room correction and what to set the settings/preferences at, just to get a general idea of it. But cant find anything for settings/preferences when taking outdoor ground plane measurments, which is what ill be taking.

Im hoping to get some help with what settings or preferences to set it all up as for taking ground plane measurements. I have never used one of these or rew before so please bear with me if i dont quite understand. Once setup correctly ill have a good play around myself and hopefully get used to it before asking for help with the results and correcting. 

My aim is to measure my small portable diy 2 way speaker. To see the frequency response, correct any dips and peaks & generally get it sounding the best it can. Then once i understand it all a bit more ill move onto my 12v rig.

Cheers 👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 05 September 2022 at 6:16pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2022 at 12:30am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2022 at 7:38am
Cheers toastyghost thats good and handy to read through.

Im after what to set the preferences to though on REW itself, for taking outdoor ground plane measurements. Or would it just be the same preferences i have seen people use in many videos for when doing indoor room correction?

Edited by Jack1991 - 24 August 2022 at 7:39am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2022 at 8:26am
I would strongly suggest reading the REW manual. That plus the document I linked previously should cover what you need to know, up to the point of obtaining some initial data.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2022 at 11:02am
Cool cheers toastyghost ill have another read. I did have a skim through the manual before posting here, but couldnt find anything regarding ground plane measurement settings. I searched for the word itself on the rew manual page "ground" but nothing comes up regarding ground plane measurements. Ill have a read through in general anyway though.

Its all quite a bit overwhelming with an overload of information on there for a newbie too. Some i understand, and alot of it i dont. Im not sure what bits i need to leave alone and what needs changing. That was my main ask is really.

The actual frequency response reading and correcting im fairly confident i get the jist of that from watching videos on it.

So this is purely for the settings/preferences for ground plane measurements.

I will be doing room correction on my Adam Audio monitor speakers in my bedroom. But im ok with that as i know how to set it up for that sort of reading.

Edited by Jack1991 - 24 August 2022 at 11:04am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2022 at 12:18pm
The main thing with all measurements is that you can verify that a measurement is correct. When that's the case, you can take start interpreting the data. Both will definitely take some time to learn and the manuals toasty advised are a good help. Read the manuals etc, try and measure something, if not as expected or weird, try again.
Norseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2022 at 5:49am
following this thread
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:59pm
Got my head round rew and the e.q section. Ive been measuring & trying out different settings with it to see and hear how it effects the outcome.

I set it first off with the target line to make it nice and flat. But it doesnt sound great like that outdoors. The mids and highs seem too much compared to the bass. 

Is there a "most used" frequency response target line that people aim for for speakers outside? 

Because again i can find plenty of information for speakers indoors with different 'house curves' etc but cant find for speakers that would be primarily used outdoors. I am using my portable battery 2 way speaker i made at the moment to try different settings on.

Edited by Jack1991 - 05 September 2022 at 6:15pm
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 8:16pm
A flat speaker will sound boring outdoor with soundsystem music.
You would like a 10dB or more boost in the bass, but that eatsbattery so you have to find a compromise as always.
Rising the highpass a bit should make it easier on the batteries.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

A flat speaker will sound boring outdoor with soundsystem music.
You would like a 10dB or more boost in the bass, but that eatsbattery so you have to find a compromise as always.
Rising the highpass a bit should make it easier on the batteries.

Ah ok cool cheers Jo bg, i didnt realise that. Im hoping to find a target line i could load into rew so i got something to go off. In regards to battery life Im not too fussed about that at the moment, rather get the sound on point, see how it lasts, and then adjust from there. Because as it is currently the battery lasts ages, also its Makita batteries so i have a few if need be. Do you have any suggestions for what frequency and Q to increase the bass?

Also rather than boosting the bass. Would i be better off reducing the rest?

If so any suggestions much appreciated, for where to start rolling off the +10db boost to the mids etc would be great. 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 05 September 2022 at 8:59pm
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 12:26pm
Yes negative eq always a safe bet. So you could try a -6dB shelving filter that starts working at 100Hz and is 6dB down at 250 Hz ( so 6dBtransition between 100 and 250).
The lower the overall level and the more boost you need to feel the bass, so if you dsp has dynamic filter that would be a good use.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 12:39pm
Cool cheers ill give that a go.

For my portable speaker it runs just Aux input to my phone. So i am using the Poweramp EQ app. Which has a Parametric EQ. It seems pretty good and lets you add as many bands as you want. Various types of filters too. Ill give it a go when home.

So for a outdoor speaker would the target curve be just boosted bass and the rest flat? Or would a Harman curve like in the photo be something to aim for? Its not super easy for me to try various settings so to have something to aim for which people know works would be really helpful.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>