Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unity horn build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unity horn build
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:10pm

haven't made any noise with it yet as I am rushing to leave on holiday. will post more next week...

Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:22pm
Very interesting. Useable frequency range?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:42pm
Celestion mids and beyma cd10fe highs?
Best regards,
Teun.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Celestion mids and beyma cd10fe highs?

yep celestions and the 1.4" version of the beyma. predicted to do 280Hz to 16kHz
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:21am
What size ports are you using with those Celestions? And what size are the Celestions?

They don`t look like the TF0410MR`s we`re using in our Unities??

Also are you going to add an extra tap to get the box down lower?

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

What size ports are you using with those Celestions? And what size are the Celestions?

They don`t look like the TF0410MR`s we`re using in our Unities??

Also are you going to add an extra tap to get the box down lower?

.p.

the ports are 1" and the mids are 6". sims say the port speed should be ok. I've left room in the design for two 10" drivers but haven't worked out how to get wide bandwidth from them yet. as the sensitivity of the bottom section won't be great am thinking I might cover 70-280Hz with a separate front-loaded horn or ported horn.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 8:59pm
I`d personally stick with keeping the 10"s in the Unity and get full range coverage from one source. You are using a sealed box already so have a rear volume to start with?
Our Mkii horns will have 2 x 10" per box and will be slightly bigger than the Mki`s to allow the horn to work down to 100hz.
It`s looking like the P-Audio SN 10 MB is the cheapest , best simming driver at the moment.... we`re still trying to get T/S parameters on all the weird and wonderful car audio drivers available here in Aus! Might be a contender hidden in there...
.p.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:05pm

I`d personally stick with keeping the 10"s in the Unity and get full range coverage from one source. You are using a sealed box already so have a rear volume to start with?
Our Mkii horns will have 2 x 10" per box and will be slightly bigger than the Mki`s to allow the horn to work down to 100hz.
It`s looking like the P-Audio SN 10 MB is the cheapest , best simming driver at the moment.... we`re still trying to get T/S parameters on all the weird and wonderful car audio drivers available here in Aus! Might be a contender hidden in there...
.p.

i've managed to get sims with response down to about 100Hz but I thought it should be possible to get lower than this? would like to get to 80Hz or 70Hz so they could be used as monitors. some of danley's designs claim to get response down to 50Hz with two 12" drivers. he seems to port the  volume in front of the cone and the rear volume into the horn so I guess this is a 6th order bandpass.

my boxes will have a sealed volume above and below the horn module and another volume to the sides and rear which could be connected if I make some holes through the vertical flare pieces. the photos don't show the back panel glued in yet.

have you looked at faital pro 10hp1020"? - that's what I've been using in my sims

have you got a link to your mkii horn?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:21pm
We looked at the Danley porting method as well, it uses the rear volume then short tube ports back into the horn mouth so possibly a 6th order. We`ve done sims with simple ports under the front of the driver and rear not ported and ported on short tubes.

Here`s unported 10" Ande and P-Audio in Mkii horn

And same drivers in ported

So 80hz is possible quite easily...getting the rear ported in phase and with good port velocity...that`s the trick!

Mkii hasn`t been built yet but will be a 1m horn loaded with:

1 x RCF ND 2530 ( just bought these...super nice drivers!)
4 x Celestion TF0410MR (sealed back 4")
2 x 10" ( P-Audio or something else with low qts and high qms which seems to sim best)

Hopefully in the next two weeks we`ll get a prototype done!

.p.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 2:09pm

We looked at the Danley porting method as well, it uses the rear volume then short tube ports back into the horn mouth so possibly a 6th order. We`ve done sims with simple ports under the front of the driver and rear not ported and ported on short tubes.

Here`s unported 10" Ande and P-Audio in Mkii horn

And same drivers in ported

So 80hz is possible quite easily...getting the rear ported in phase and with good port velocity...that`s the trick!

Mkii hasn`t been built yet but will be a 1m horn loaded with:

1 x RCF ND 2530 ( just bought these...super nice drivers!)
4 x Celestion TF0410MR (sealed back 4")
2 x 10" ( P-Audio or something else with low qts and high qms which seems to sim best)

Hopefully in the next two weeks we`ll get a prototype done!

.p.

what voltage is your input for those graphs? is it parallel drivers into 4Pi?

cheers
Phil?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 9:42am
Hi

2.83v and parallel into 2 pi ( I think as my mate Richie has the info on his laptop!). Those are just rough sims as we haven`t decided on the final rear volume or how we will port it back in ...

.p.

CoblosBrengose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoblosBrengose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:31am

We looked at the Danley porting method as well, it uses the rear volume then short tube ports back into the horn mouth so possibly a 6th order.

Hi Phil
Have you actually seen inside dsl box?
From iso wire frame images on the dsl website there aren't tube ports..only simple holes

Edited by CoblosBrengose - 09 February 2013 at 8:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>