Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent question: 1850 or 186 horn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent question: 1850 or 186 horn?
    Posted: 28 September 2004 at 2:45pm
Hello,

My name is Dave, I´m from Austria.
I have a problem and I hope there is a person in the forum to help me.

I own two 18" speakers and I want to built two good subwoofers with them. At the moment I just have two black boxes with 18" speakers, built without any "know
how".

I would like to built the 1850 or 186 horn with my speakers, the problem is that
I have no precision devices and so I want to ask you if it´s possible to built one of the cases (1850 horn, 186 horn)with another speaker than an pd.

My speakers are x-tension 18B 500, their name turned into omnitronic 18B 500,
and now,
only god knows what happend to x-tension and the production of these speakers.

Typ: 18 B-500   fs(Hz): 30,9        Qms: 1,84        Qes: 0,40        Qts: 0,33
Re(Ohm): 6,7     Vas(l): 298        SPL(dB): 100     d(cm): 1320 qcm  Pmax(W): 500Wrms
Preis(Euro): 285

My idea is to built subwoofers with pa-components and the power of a pa-system,
but they should have a perfect sound too.
I will built them with the optic of an high end living room system (wooden verneer,...) and they will play in the cellar, or the living room of our house.

So my questions are:

Is it possible to built a 1850 horn, or a 186 horn with these speakers and for this use??
If yes, then which system is the better one for my speakers?
If not, which case would you choose for this speaker and this use?

I hope for a positive answer

friendly greetings from austria

Dave
nightline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 8:28pm

This really looks a basreflex speaker fs/Qes= 77,25 which means that the engine is not very strong. This will not work in a horn!!

I'm sorry!!

Jack

DaveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 9:56pm

Hi Jack,

First I wanna thank you for your answer.

If you compare my speaker with the pd 186, then it is nearly as heavy as the pd 186 and looks quite good with his big magnet.

pd 186: fs/Qes = 82,822

Sorry, I´m a rookie on handling the thiele-small parameters, but for me there is no big difference between 77 and 82.

So is there a big difference, or not?

If you think bassreflex would be better, do you know were I can get plans for bassreflexcases.

Thank You

Dave

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 10:49pm

How about its Xmax, BL and No. ?

Cheers

nightline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 4:53pm

We need more specs of your speaker to calculate a reflex-box, have a look at www.thiele-small.com .

Kind regards

Jack

DaveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 7:22pm

Thanks for your help.

I will try to find out a little bit more about my speaker at the weekend.

Not at home at the moment!

Today I called a gentleman from the general distribution of this type of speakers.

My Problem is that the production of this brand stopped two yeards ago. 

I will try my best.

What do you think about that http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/plaene/pdf/1 8-175l.pdf (sorry german language) but pictures from this subs under http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/eigene/sub15 -18s-100l-1.jpg

and http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/eigene/sub15 -18s-100l-2.jpg

Is it possible to built a Subwoofer like that with my speaker?

hope you can help me

thank you

Dave

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 7:24pm
you might gamble on a Karlson type - contour used the original design with ultra low mass Craaft

heres one ~ 225l and with Eminence Sigma cone says under nice control with >300 w peaks on rap with racheting kick drum cetered around 50hz - the produce shockwves in smaller enviroments

a 15" would be more articulate but this one sins't too shabby imo

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/PartySpeak

Post Reply Post Reply