Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB bin
    Posted: 20 March 2006 at 5:18pm

yo, finished the prototype today:

Sounds really nice - goes fairly low. no chance to crank it yet, will try to get a response taken tomorrow

at less than £300 a bin- jobs a goodun. aim is to build 20 odd.

:D

dave

super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:21pm
Very nice looking box . Is it a twin 18.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:52pm

Great job on that cab!

20! Would like to hear that!

"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:35am
yea reverse firing double 18" celestion ftr 4080FD loaded. Good drivers, work really well in this cab. They say that they take 1000w aes per driver! i personally doubt the xmax could handle this.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 6:27am
Very nice work! Me wants! Me wants!

Look fairly straightforward to build as well.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:05pm

right, so I don't have the equipment to do a smaart test etc, but i did a simple easy and dirty test using a signal generator, multimeter and sinwave generator!

obviously this isn't ideal, but i did a lab sub and two hd15's under the same conditions to gain some kind of comparison. all have a notch at 70hz and 125hz which could be the db meter. All were standing up with the db meter 1m away, 60cm off the floor

i kept the input voltage reading on the multimeter constant  at 2v for the usb, 1.9v for the lab and 1.41v for the hd's (4ohm pd158 loaded in parallel)

red is lab, blue is usb and green is hd's

as you can see, all the db values seem very low, but i'm not sure if my multimeter is showing pk, pk-pk or rms. gives some idea anyway.

will try and find someone with smaart but sounds loud and good to my ears and i guess thats the most important thing

Edited by davey t - 21 March 2006 at 5:09pm
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 6:11pm
they look pretty!
phaze one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaze one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:29pm
they look a bit like the funktion one f-218 bins
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 8:06pm

or a moded double es18-bph [sort of they look nice on the front. is thst nice little peak at just above 180 just below 200hz? nice! more "kick" than a hd15 then? [or equivelent amounts of each i mean]

sweet are plans going to be avail or this a comercial ish venture your letting us have a sneaky peak at? nice one either way!

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 4:08am

not sure really. I think the plan at the moment is to get them cadded asap and find someone to cnc the wood for 24 or so. Then sell them in flat packs complete with drivers, trimite etc. Doing it this way in bulk makes things much cheaper for everyone (and quicker to put together), we could probably do the pack for about £400. May find a joiner who wants to put them together but i certainly dont have time for it.

Anyone interested?

Its also interesting that my hornresp model predicted a big peak in the response at 115hz which doesn't seem to be there (my ears comfirm this with sin wave sweeps etc). Thats good tho. it did predict the next bump at just over 200hz, which is there. All in all the response sounds very smooth, with just a little -3db attenuation on +100hz they sound very good crossed 40-160hz.

Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:24am
Why not post the plans on da forum? Everyone would like to have a go at these cbs it seems....Big smile
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 11:53am
Don't forget that it will be a fair bit specialized (2-way bass) but these designs inevitably kick like a donkey and don't have to be crossed as low as converntional folded units.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>