Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB Soundcard recommendations for measurements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Soundcard recommendations for measurements
    Posted: 16 November 2018 at 11:02am
Am looking for a new USB soundcard for taking measurements.

I have 2 EMU cards which sound great and measure flat but nether want to work on my windows 10 laptop, and my older windows 7 laptop seems it no longer wants to work the them ether...,  ill try a fresh windows install on that laptop but it looks like im in the market for a new USB soundcard.

Any recommendations for something that will work on windows 10, must have good quality AD/DA and 2 mic pre's, and preferably not cost a fortune.  XLR outs would be nice but it seems there mostly on jacks.  

Thanks

James
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 11:18am
Focusrite scarlett springs to mind,6i6 has 2 preamps not sure if the smaller models also have two. Relatively cheap and quality imo.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 11:42am
I am still fecking about with my Edirol DA2496, it is PCie with umbilical to a 1U, 8 in (2 Mic/HiZ with Phantom, 2 Further HiZ, 4 line), 8 out. Has original software for XP!

However, despite MAudio taking over, the MAudio 1010 (W7/8) driver gets it working nicely in W10.

So to point - just because something isn't "W10 Compliant" doesn't means it won't work in W10, you may just need to play. With the internet and 7+Billion peeps on planet, someone may well have tried to get your specific existing cards to work in W10, and will have crowed about it on a forum somewhere. Just a question of finding that post. Try manufacturers forum?

One of the joys of PC Vs Mac, is that PCs tend to be very backwards compatible. Occasionally, after a W10 update, I may have to reload the drivers for this card, but I can. On a Mac, when apple decides you need to buy a new thunderbolt/usb peripheral, due to an update, you have no choice....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 12:09pm
Thanks guys,  i ave tied the EMU 2020 and 0404 on both the windows 10 laptop and the older windows 7 laptop,  i did manage to get one click out of the soundcard but then it just reverts back to the onboard sound and says the card is not found...  

Really odd thing is they worked fine on the win 7 laptop until i tried to use them on the new win 10 laptop, now its just crashing or not finding the card...  Ive checked on forums and people have had both the 0202 and 0404 working on windows 10 with the same driver, i think there is an older driver that i could try ill give that a go on the windows 7,  it would be a shame to abandon both the EMU cards as they do sound good.  
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 12:24pm
I would really recommend getting a soundcard with digitally controlled gain. With knobs its to easy to fiddle around and get inconsistant measurements. I like my Roland Octa Capture .
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

I would really recommend getting a soundcard with digitally controlled gain. With knobs its to easy to fiddle around and get inconsistant measurements. I like my Roland Octa Capture .

Octacapture or RME if you have tons of cash. Or, and don’t laugh, the UPHORIA is perfectly fine for field / gig stuff and gives four preamps for multi mic stuff. It depends what you’re doing with it really.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 2:32pm
Presonus AudioBox iTwo. About 95 quid from Dawsons music in Manchester. Does the job, works well and for that money it's not worth fecking about trying to get something to work.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 2:56pm
I have two. M-audio FastrackPro and Steinberg UR22.
Both serve me very good for almost a decate.

Edited by MarjanM - 16 November 2018 at 2:56pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 3:53pm
Thanks guys,  i like the look of the Presonus, will have another bash at the emu card this evening with asio4all drivers,  i just tried to uninstall the emu drivers and it crashed the pc....  if i dont get anywhere with asio4all ill just buy the Presonus i think.

Am with you on digitally controlled gain,  it would be nice, could always just short the pot and control it from the LMS i might do that. 

Cheers

James

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 5:12pm
I use a MOTU Audio Express, but the Focusrite Scarlett range are also widely used and do the trick for not a lot of cash.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 7:44pm
Gain knobs are never an issue really. Just make sure you use none. Everytime you start, just ensure the pot is against the stop and that's done.

That approach has served me well over 10 years.

4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:41am
I use Steinberg UR22, I recommend it. Nothing special, but good value for money.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
 Post Reply Post Reply