Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 12:40pm
I always thought the USB name came from the 'united sounds of Bristol' mailing list?

One thing regarding plans is that BFM only actually charges just over a fiver to £7.50 for plans at the current exchange rate. Having a price below a tenner does a lot psychologically and might make people more willing to pay, despite being a little more awkward to account for.

Also, regarding the plans being copied and shared there is little you can do about this. If you only send out plans on paper, you only impact the people who legitimately buy the plans, not those who'd copy and share them - the paper would only be scanned in and then those sharing the plans would have a more convenient version than those who buy them.

Copyright litigation is also very expensive and time consuming. I think it'd be best to copyright the plans, via the traditional channels and then sell them on a respect basis as already has been mentioned.

People will always copy something if they wish, and by trying to prevent them doing so you only usually hurt the honest customers. The music and publishing industries are just starting to realise this.

I think you'll go a long way though by having licensed builders, who pay a higher charge (say fifty quid) than others but are then able to legally build an unlimited amount for those of us who find saws and routers a scary prospect.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:13pm
You right on many points.

Electronic versions of the plans are best
Charging a very small amount for plans for DIYers who want to build some for their own use is ok and shouldn't result in too much copying
Charging a small licence fee to builders who can then freely advertise the product and build unlimited amounts should also be ok

Re the copyright litigation:
Registering the plans with the copyright office costs £35 and only requires filling out a form and emailing a copy. Its just there to scare people off infriging. I would never bother taking someone to court unless they were making top dollar from my design - unlikely!

I'l just be happy if it turns out to be a wicked design and lots of people make them. If i can make a couple squids from it then bonus! and it'l provide encouragement  to do more.

anyways, i'm getting ahead of myself. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I've only built 1 and need to do some proper testing with different drivers and more bins at higher volumes.

Edited by davey t - 25 March 2008 at 3:15pm
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 4:24pm
That sounds like the right approach.
best of luck.

how does this single USB2 compare to half a USB? size and output wise?

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 6:16pm
Considering that in general people aren't prepared to spend money on decent plywood or decent components I have to wonder whether the same people would spend money on plans...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Considering that in general people aren't prepared to spend money on decent plywood or decent components I have to wonder whether the same people would spend money on plans...

But then you have to wonder if you really want to compromise your plans to draw in the lowest-common-denominator market.

Why not do the best job you can and get paid a decent amount by those who appreciate the work, rather than just trying to appease tight arses of the world?
Plus there are plenty of free plans out there already, that do a similar job in a different way. If 'free' is your biggest factor when choosing something, then you're generally going to accept something of a lower quality in return.

You certainly won't get rich quick that way, but you will feel a lot better all around!

Anyway, as Davey says this is all a bit business like at this stage! Four bins and plots, or preferably a party based public unveiling if you could please

Edited by toastyghost - 25 March 2008 at 7:06pm
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Anyway, as Davey says this is all a bit business like at this stage! Four bins and plots, or preferably a party based public unveiling if you could please

Innit just. Two cut n ready to assemble this week.
Have modified the brace to make the crosspiece "chevron" style.

the curved brace is infact the secret of the design. Inside its just an empty box.

looking into CNCing a run of 16-24 bins at the moment. birch is fukin expensive at the moment!

FarmerWardy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerWardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:38pm
i saw the design, in Alex's living room,Tongue

all be it scribbled on a bit of paper.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:52pm
haha, i was waiting for a picture to load in the gap! Embarrassed
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:54pm
Shhhhhhh!

I shouldn't leave my scribbles lying around.

It turned out different to that scribble anyways.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 10:26pm
I think if the plans are comprehensive enough,and if you have some kind of basic pre/post build support that would be good. Also developing a few more related products could help it grow.
Ofcourse some will copy, but its better than nothing.

Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 1:55am
If there anything like the USB then i'll have 8 of them Thumbs%20Up
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:00am
UniversalLOL Sound Bus
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>