Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using an X1 for home cinema

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using an X1 for home cinema
    Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:13am
Used my X1 at home for watching films for the first time last night... f*ck me! I've used it for a cinema before now but most of the films we've watched with it were old films, without much in the way of 50Hz down, I never really knew what it was capable of. I was properly blown away by the amount of noise coming out of it. We watched revenge of the Sith and any point in the film that had space craft landing/taking off/nearby was making everything in my living room shake, the amount of laughter going on you would have thought it was a comedy.

We were using a single X1 with a high pass at 30Hz on a steep 24 LW slope and a low pass at 70Hz with a gentle 12 slope. It was run off a bridge c-audio RA4001 (2k at 8ohm bridged, not being run hard obviously) loaded with a PD1850.

Obviously having an enormous cab in your living room isn't deal for most people but I really cant recommend the X1 enough for cinema use.

Can anyone recommend any films for our watching/listening pleasure tonight with serious sub?
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:17am
Have a watch of "Its All Gone Pete Tong" good clubbing film... or Human Traffic...

And a good one is Lord of the rings... they all have giant groups of horses stampeding,,, so lots of low thumpy bass...

or Doom!... erm... cant really think of many as i dont watch many films...
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:43am
we've got lord of the rings for tonight. I'd be suprised if either of those dance music films had much sub. It almost exclusively comes from the special effects noises of big budget films like jurassic park.
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:01pm
Hmmmm... Had that single SD18 hanging around for ages now which I seem to remember is ideal in the X1. Maybe time to get me tools out and build my first cab in about 7 years, reckon I could just about manage one of those, and join in on the fun!

Whereabouts in your room have you got the sub placed? Just out of curiosity..
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Can anyone recommend any films for our watching/listening pleasure tonight with serious sub?

Armageddon                -       Bruce Willis etc
Batman Forever            -       Val Kilmer/Jim Carey/Tommy Lee Jones
Saving  Private  Ryan   -       Tom Hanks etc  
** Judge Dredd **       -       Stallone etc
War of the Worlds        -       Tom Cruise  etc...
King Kong                     -       (New One)

Edited by levyte357 - 25 October 2006 at 4:31pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 5:52pm
i heard war of the worlds goes down to 10hz at places! the island used to make my room shake (18" reflex's)
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 7:07pm
The Matrix ( helicopter crash scene )
U571 ( underwater bombs )
Star Trek First Contact ( starship battle scenes generally )
Earthquake ( old film from the 70s.. Cerwin Vega built HUGE basshorns for cinema use for this film... )

Currently using a pair of JBL 4412 and a single Tannoy TS10 + the usual centre speaker and rear spks. here.. Plenty of LF for my 4*5 meter livingroom :-)

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 7:20pm
iirc vynl contains program >20hz...... mind you that dont mean that they didnt have 10hz on the master....... quite possible......
either way x1 in louge should be comical!!!!!!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 7:26pm
i may have to make an X1 for my home cinema...

and use my JBL tops and some other speakers...
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 3:18am
Yeh with some room gain,youl get abit more below 35hz than the programs modeled in 2pi suggest.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 5:06am
cheers for all the suggestions, might try dropping the highpass tonight. If I watch the amp I'm sure the PD1850 can handle the bigger excursion. Does anyone know where the X1 becomes unloaded?

war of the worlds sounds like a good suggestion. I might need to put velcro on the bottom of all my glasses/mugs to stop them dancing off the coffee table.

At the moment the sub is placed off the floor in the centre (less than ideal for efficiency) but this is more do with the fact that there are large volumes of speakers taking up two suitable corners, the space beneath the X1, and all my garage space.
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2006 at 1:40pm
i had a beyma loaded WO in my room for most of last year. dont really watch films much but for stereo you cant beat having a decent sub. its not flat but its fun...
id say unless your playing it at system volumes drop the high pass, unlikely to be moving the driver much.
music is god
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>