Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using jbl 2226 in Xm15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using jbl 2226 in Xm15
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:53pm
HI all

i'm going to use my jbl's in the X15 monitor design, will the port settings have to be changed?

any help appreciated

kev
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 8:09pm
ive assembled the first one apart from glueing in the baffle, if i need to change the port i hope someone speaks up soon

cutting the mitres with a ten bob cicular saw and a plasterers float as a guide was a real laugh..

not

kev
Mark'n'Greg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark'n'Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:33pm
good luck. we're building some XM15s ourselves (see seperate post) so we'd be interested to know how they go.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:01pm
ive ordered the crossovers and some celestion  compression drivers and a bigger than stated horn from adlib audio in liverpool, i'm sure it will do the job, as the crosover and compression driver setup is something they have researched for a previous project.

my band does not have the luxury of soundchecks monitor mixes with seperate graphics etc, so anything will be better than what we have now

(nothing)

good luck with the build, i had fun getting the back bits to stick...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 11:25am
HI all

my bits and pieces arrived today, celestion CDX1 1425 1" compression driver and matching flare plus custom crossovers,

will have these installed by the weekend hopefully,

kev
dunc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 5:52pm
dont forget we want pictures lol
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by dunc dunc wrote:

dont forget we want pictures lol

I CAN IMAGINE the headings now,

"knocking the nails in with the bottom of my drill",

"unscrewing damaged scew head with set square"

"miscut panels can be bent to fit"

"the timber on that old pallet isnt that warped"

will do my best

cheers

kev

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 6:40pm
well i tested my first monitor today, it sounds great with music running through it, but there is a nasty resonance when i sing through it though which is awkward to eq out.

i dont have any measurement gear to figure out whats doing it or any graphics to tweek, the tone i send foh is what i get in my monitors from an aux send(normally an active mackie) i cant see this arrangement working with my xm15 at the mo.

doh(or the lack of)

kev

ok ive just done a direct comparison with my srm 450, and the xm15 sounds good in fairness, maybe i need to tweak a little bass to the foh vocal sound as this will kick off a load of feed back i think from the xm15 untill i get a graphic in there.

Edited by kevin tyler - 13 June 2007 at 7:27pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:31pm
Have you put any wadding or foam in the cabinet?  If you haven't then that might calm down the resonance.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:33pm
Btw, have you considered splitting your vocal channel onto two channels on the desk so that one is for FOH and one for monitors?  Very good idea if you have the channels available.

Just need either an XLR Y-split lead or you can do it with a jack-jack lead wired to take the send from the insert and put it into the return of another channel.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 11:49am
thanks ceharden, i have not thought of this before with a splitter, will give this a try though,
 i have wadding on the base of the monitor, the port tubes are clear, the cabinet appears rigid, front panel braced, i have not sealed the 15 driver against the timber of the front panel, its screwed in with 8 bolts, will this be necessary to stop the rattle?

all in all after a bit of a tweak with fresh ears the sound is good to be fair, and i will continue now and build the second one.

by the way, does the front panel need to be braced to the rear of the cabinet, im sure it would if it was a rectangular box??

cheers  kev
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:23pm
here are some pics of the build,

the crossover

old drivers new horns

the box ready top receive the baffle

i opted for 100 mm by 1200mm tubes on this project, a lot neater if you are cack handed with a jig saw

the tube is held in from both sides with no more nails type stuff, the nuts are held in place by a little hot glue in case they come loose.

screwing it all together

my new sander really took the laminate down a layer, the carpet should cover that

lettinga load of glue fill in the err ...cracks and gaps

i forgot how nasty black paint can be, will get some carpet from thoman, and speak to the speaker grill man, not a perfect job buy your standards but it makes a great noise so i am happy.

time to clean my scruffy cellar

what can i say guys, thanks for all your support, thanks to rog for a great site too, coming soon that 8ft wheel of fortune, trust me to open my gob.

cheers

kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 18 June 2007 at 9:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply