Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using mixer as 4 way preamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ojmarton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using mixer as 4 way preamp
    Posted: 29 January 2024 at 10:09pm
I’m sure this thread will exist somewhere but I struggled to find much.
I’m clearly new to the scene, working towards using an 8 channel mixer as a preamp until I upgrade in order to cut bass on the fly /tweak levels etc. Confused as to the connections..
How can I route sound to my mixer to be played on 4 different channels (scoops, kicks, mids, highs) and then back to my amps? Sound will be running from a dj mixer first. Will be using a soundcraft efx8 and an ultradrive dsp. 
Do I need a second dsp/crossover? Dj mixer-dsp-soundcraft mixer-2nd dsp/crossover- amps?? Seems a weird chain..
I’m sure I’m missing something very simple..
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 5:03am
You can't really do what a 4-way preamp does with your proposed setup... let me explain.

The Ultradrive has crossover and EQ functionality but it's not really designed to be tweaked with all the time it's more designed to be setup and left alone, you can change things fairly easily via the remote PC application but it's clunky to put it mildly.
That soundcraft mixer has some EQ on each channel but the controls don't cut sound completely at it's fully counter clockwise position they just boost or cut 15dB. 

So you could route the DJ mixer through the DCX to separate the signal into 4 bands with the crossover functions, then bring that through 4 separate inputs of the Soundcraft mixer but each input will already be bandwidth limited,  so for example the mid and high EQ and the sub channel won't have any effect, the low and high EQ won't do anything on the mid channel, etc,  so the only thing you can really do it raise or lower the level of each band and cut it completely if you want, or add an effect. And yeah the output of the mixer would then be a mono mix of everything that would need to be split via another crossover, so it's convoluted and still not very effective.

Another way to use the gear would be to go from the DJ mixer to the Soundcraft first with just the stereo signal, you can add EFX when you like and play with the EQ some, then it goes to the DCX where the signal is split up and sent to the respective amplifiers for each speaker section. You don't have the same level of control but it's a relatively straight forward rig to wire up. 

Neither one of these scenarios produces exactly the same results as a reggae preamp but it is what it is. Do you have the Soundcraft mixer already? Modern DJ mixers have more of the functionality you are looking for with built-in effects and full cut EQs.

Edited by Conanski - 30 January 2024 at 5:27am
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2024 at 9:30am
I have found the best way to do this was DJ mixer > Analogue crossover (in mono splitting the freqs 3 or 4 way) > mixer (adjusting levels/muting on subs,kicks,mids,highs etc and summing back to mono) > into parametric EQ (preamp style shaping)> DSP 
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 10:57am
and the musical phase is in a total mess... even big noise introduced in all music chain.

i reply to this because ive seen one famous sound doing like this, and its the most espensive crap ive ever seen.

please make it simpler, and thinking that a reggae preamp is a real save of money for playing how u want...and maybe you can put the summed exit in a proper dsp and drive yuor system properly
 Post Reply Post Reply