Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Value for money' light show

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Value for money' light show
    Posted: 22 January 2014 at 11:30am
Now that I've pretty much sorted my sound system out I need some advice on a light show.

Obviously I want as much as possible for my money.

I have been looking at the Chauvet 4 play and the 6 light version.

Music we play is EDM, Dubstep, house, electro etc. So I'm thinking some lasers and strobes as well....

Edited by andycw - 22 January 2014 at 11:32am
No Bass No Fun
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2014 at 12:53pm
Can't go wrong with a couple of old-school mirror scans in my opinion rather then cheap rotating heads, and also some of the newer LED boards such as the (now discontinued but many others are available) Chauvet Technostrobe. They offer some quite good set and forget light shows. We used to use static or slow changing pars and washes for the stage setup to make it look interesting.

Lasers are ok but beware of potential H&S issues and liabilities, generally not so much of a problem if you ensure to point them places the crowd can't get their eyeballs too.

Strobes are also cool but require a human in the loop to be used to full potential and also can suck a silly amount of current. So beware of tripping breakers etc.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 3:54pm
If I knew what I know now when I first got in to lighting I would have bought.

6 x clay paky minis can HPE £1000

2 x Deathstar strobes £200

6 x meters of trilite £200

2 x American DJ winch stands £250

1 x Avolites Azure £500

2 x 4 way molefays £100

4 x par 64 500w £80

So for under £2500 you will have a lights how that will kick most medium sized club nights arse!

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 3:55pm
Ohh and a betapack mk2 for around £200
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 4:20pm
My list wouldn't be far off that, but I'd go for LED pars instead
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 9:28pm
You didn't say what your budget was or how big a venue you need to light, if both are small I always recommend a rotating dichroic prism effect, maximum coverage from a single unit.

Set and forget!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321301796946

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

You didn't say what your budget was or how big a venue you need to light, if both are small I always recommend a rotating dichroic prism effect, maximum coverage from a single unit.

Set and forget!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321301796946

Yep, great lights, I sold a couple of those and some Twister 2s to a local pub for next to nothing when I bought all my led stuff and wished I hadn't after!!
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 1:01am
Under a ton budget - Hyper moons and early twisters (Martin rainbows, abstract twisters mk 1 to 3). Many a dirty rave up with just them
Under a grand budget, some control, scans and a cheap desk. Few cheap strobes eg. high end Af1k's
Over a grand budget - Start to look skyward. Desk, movers, go posh. Atomic 3k strobes.

Nowadays cheap lasers are de-rigour, but overused. If you can't do it well...
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 1:47pm
Don't forget some half decent lifts/t-bars/truss, not the cheapest shonky old piece of crap 'Pro-DJ MEgaMix Console' off eBay you can find.

Half decent hardware doesn't need to be expensive.

Oh, and mounting hardware and cabling infrastructure too.

Orange/blue extensions from B&Q won't cut it
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 11:13pm
safety wires.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 11:25pm
creativity!!

that's one thing most rigs lack, they build up generic looking lighting rigs as you'd find absolutely everywhere! Same basic layout, same fixtures, boring - much like most festival stage setups - really dull giant tall empty caves with a load of movers on the top etc etc...

So if you get the chance, do something unique and fun!!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
andycw View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the advice everyone

Budget wise - minimal. Will have to buy a few lights at a time.
4 acme Dynamo lights have come up on the Facebook page, look a bit old - is it worth grabbing them?

Size wise - Probably about 150 people so doesn't have to be massive (yet)

No Bass No Fun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>