Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Value for money' light show

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 1:03pm
..i looked at a couple of them. for 150 peeps 2 is minimal, 4 is good... 6 fully controlled and programmed will be fantastic!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

creativity!!

that's one thing most rigs lack, they build up generic looking lighting rigs as you'd find absolutely everywhere! Same basic layout, same fixtures, boring - much like most festival stage setups - really dull giant tall empty caves with a load of movers on the top etc etc...

So if you get the chance, do something unique and fun!!

Couldn't agree more. Lighting is more than some fast moving colour changing beams in smoke (OP, you'll need a hazer or smokie BTW). It sets the atmosphere, Can't go wrong with 4 martin destroyers and a few megastar strobes for the dirty rave (fast moving beams nonsense!), for a deep house and percussive techno style, bin off the movers, get it as dark as you can and just put in a few leds on red/congo blue around lighting the space, psytrance, fill it with uv and spike everyone with Smile.

In the same way you would think about where you put you stacks, think about and experiment with where you put your LX. It takes a bit of thinking about to not look like a wedding dj with a wobbly goalpost above the decks, where you put the lights in the venue is as important as what lights you have.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 4:28pm
[/QUOTE]
 It sets the atmosphere, Can't go wrong with 4 martin destroyers and a few megastar strobes for the dirty rave (fast moving beams nonsense!), for a deep house and percussive techno style, bin off the movers, get it as dark as you can and just put in a few leds on red/congo blue around lighting the space, psytrance, fill it with uv and spike everyone with Smile.
[/QUOTE]

+1
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
andycw View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 4:32pm
Yep, smoke is on the list as well.

I hired one a few years ago, ran off a canister rather than fluid. Thing was bleddy brilliant
No Bass No Fun
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by andycw andycw wrote:

Yep, smoke is on the list as well.

I hired one a few years ago, ran off a canister rather than fluid. Thing was bleddy brilliant

those refills aren't cheap though! We have a few handheld canister machines on the paintball site! Love it when you have a load of people in a bunker and you smoke em out... trying to pursuade the owner to let us put some strobes around the place too but is a H&S hazard it would seem LOL

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by andycw andycw wrote:

4 acme Dynamo lights have come up on the Facebook page, look a bit old - is it worth grabbing them?

If they are the ones I'm thinking of they came in a variety of versions.

Early ones used a conventional transformer for a filament lamp and were quite reliable, later they changed to a SMPS which was les reliable and then they went to LED instead of filament lamps.

Moving mirror lights really need to be positioned on stands or such like so that you can get them high up and symetrical (or not, but set up in a way that the movement of the beams compliments each other when  moving together, rather than appearing unsychronised).

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 5:44pm
for cheap scanners, i can't recommend abstract VR8's [or better, VR8R's - R=rotating gobo] enough, very good output for the unit, and also has some brilliant chases built in, 150w HMI...

you can make on a master, chain the DMX, then assign the slaves a number of 1-4, allowing a straight line of 1-4, or if you have multiples you could do 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 etc etc.

heres an old vid of my old Vr8r units, picked up £200 for the four with cases clamps and lamps!! Set sound/light left-right 4-3-2-1. Oldschool martin flower thing in middle, and pair of random lasers.

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 27 January 2014 at 5:44pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 5:54pm
  I have four of the led dynamos and for the price you can't go wrong, if the ones on facebook look older they could be the 250w version which are very bright but will eat replacement lamps if you use them a lot or the cheaper 100w versions which are still a great effect but I never found them particularly bright. A bit of smoke or haze to highlight the beams is a must though as said.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

for cheap scanners, i can't recommend abstract VR8's [or better,
VR8R's - R=rotating gobo] enough,

Horrible to service though!
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 8:25pm
just don't break them Wink

nah i found the few faults easy enough to fix, had a stepper go, easy swap out, and another one needed fairly major surgery but nothing a few hours and a replacement main board couldn't fix [that's one i dropped anyway! Embarrassed].

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 8:45pm
There is the odd company that will knockmout batchs of 25 boards or so for a fair price. Is there any ic on board that need programming or is it all off the shelf componants? Im asking as if you like them that much it might be worth banging a few boards together yourself.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 8:53pm
i found spare [often used] parts readily available, often on ebay or on first page of google searches.

the main board does contain much of the fixtures electronics, including their custom programs! Either way i got up to earning 8x units, and the only problem i had was a dead stepper motor, and a ballast [and the main board when i dropped one off a truss!].

Like most things, get ones that are in reasonable condition and look after them will be fine. Remember using the set heathrow bought many years back - absolutely shagged condition!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>