Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valve amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 7:43pm
Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 11:05pm
You probably know what these amplifiers sell for. But if not, do an online search and sit down before looking at the numbers...

The main thing to watch out for, apart from all the electrolytics, is the paper capacitors - especially the ones that block DC from the grids of the output valves. They will need replacing with modern plastic film types. I generally fit the yellow Vishay 1813 types (that used to be branded as ERO / Röderstein) as replacements.

Edited by madboffin - 22 July 2020 at 11:07pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 12:09am
I know they generally fetch an obscene amount of money!
I have got something that my mate is after at the moment, I might see if he wants to do a swap!
Either way I’ll get it off him at the weekend or maybe sooner if I end up in the area, and get it on the bench in my lockup.
I’ll post some pictures as I’m sure a few people here will be interested!
I’m curious as to what I’m going to find, it might have been serviced in the past, or I might be the first to touch it after many decades. Quite looking forward to working on it actually
100% Earth Moving Bass
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 1:09pm
VCalve amps are pretty straightforward to work on in general, simple circuitry if you understand it. Just observe all the usual HV precautions and you'll be fine. I like to dedicate a meter to monitor only the B+ voltage which is never disconnected, then I use others to probe. At a glance you know if it is live, helps concentrate the mind.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 2:27pm
+ 1 I actually love working on valve amps, they are so much easier to understand than transistors. 
Of course, these are the rose tinted spectacles of someone who hasn't had a shock off the B+ yet; I expect that changes one's views on the matter!

I like odc04r's dedicated meter idea. I always work in thick rubber gloves, using only one hand as much as possible. That way even if a sharp live wire pierces the glove, I'm not getting a shock right across the chest. Plastic chopsticks are very useful to tap around the circuitry and see if anything is loose, you can even tape your meter probes to them so your hands are as far away from the angry pixies as possible.

Fixed an Orange bass amp head last year - six hundred and ninety English volts on the output tube anodes - CRIKEY!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Chris I Rockas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris I Rockas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:53pm
TL12 refurb, also worth watching.

Think you can, you will. Think you can't, you won't.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

+ 1 I actually love working on valve amps, they are so much easier to understand than transistors. 
Of course, these are the rose tinted spectacles of someone who hasn't had a shock off the B+ yet; I expect that changes one's views on the matter!

I like odc04r's dedicated meter idea. I always work in thick rubber gloves, using only one hand as much as possible. That way even if a sharp live wire pierces the glove, I'm not getting a shock right across the chest. Plastic chopsticks are very useful to tap around the circuitry and see if anything is loose, you can even tape your meter probes to them so your hands are as far away from the angry pixies as possible.

Fixed an Orange bass amp head last year - six hundred and ninety English volts on the output tube anodes - CRIKEY!

That is a healthy B+, I've only built up to 400V so far - which I had zero problems with but it was enough for me. Not that you should take shortcuts with any HV but in the worst case from 400V I am fairly confident I would live to be angry with myself for being an idiot. 700-800V starts to become somewhat more unknown territory, and you have doubled the chance of it jumping a gap too. Zero room for mistakes there.
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

At a glance you know if it is live, helps concentrate the mind.

I had my mind concentrated by a belt of 370VDC which sent me spinning across trhe workshop on my office chair.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Andylaser Andylaser wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

At a glance you know if it is live, helps concentrate the mind.

I had my mind concentrated by a belt of 370VDC which sent me spinning across trhe workshop on my office chair.

Yep..  DC bites a little harder than AC  CryDeadCryDeadCryDeadAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

Edited by BJtheDJ - 27 July 2020 at 8:20pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2020 at 4:40pm
I got a quick look at the inside of the valve amp at the weekend.

One of the valves is broken and needs replacing, possibly 2. The big square capacitor doesn’t appear to belong in there...
100% Earth Moving Bass
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2020 at 10:35pm
Very nice, and all original apart from the paper block capacitor. So nice that it would make a lovely museum piece if left untouched. But I'm sure we'd all rather see (and you'd rather hear) it working to original spec or bettter.

You can expect most of the carbon comp resistors to have drifted up in value. Depending on where they are in the circuit, some will need replacing with modern film types - unless you want to go all the way and replace the lot.

The metalpacks, although very high spec when new, are almost certain to be leaky. Don't be tempted to replace with identical new old stock types. Although the audiophools drool over them (with prices to match), even NOS ones are often leaky. Modern MKT 1813's are the way to go. If you don't like the bright yellow colour you can use them to re-stuff the metalpacks although I wouldn't go that far...

If you intend to sell the amplifier after refurb, keep all the replaced components in a bag and send them out with the amplifier, some buyers like to see the originals (no, I don't know why either...).

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2020 at 10:51pm

I was given a Quad II monoblock years ago that was just missing the GZ32, it still has its original GE KT66s and is in fairly good cosmetic condition…. it’s currently in a cardboard box under the bench in my workshop…. One day I’ll get around to restoring it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>