Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Van under bed garage sub horn! Will it work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van under bed garage sub horn! Will it work?
    Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:23pm
Hello all

So i'm currently building my campervan, which includes 2xCubo 12s under the bed firing forward into the main living area. The original idea was to pull them out and spin them 180 degrees so they fire out the back doors for spontaneous party van abilities.

Now, I have never designed a horn before so I have no idea if this could work, so tell me if im being silly, but this is the idea I now have of potentially turning the whole rear into a horn add-on to the 2 cubos. Rather than spinning the cabs 180 degrees, im thinking just push them back say 15cm (Green lines), then block off the current mouth to the main living area with a removable plate (Blue lines), then it would fire into the horn (Red lines) folding round and firing out the back.

The horn would measure 1.8m long from the mouth of the cubos, with the new mouth exit width being 1.1m wide

What effect would this have on the sound?

It would mean the horn from the Cubos would get smaller again as it exists the current mouth of the cabs which I feel may be an issue?

I still need these to run up to 140hz, would this ruin there sound up there?

Cheers all!

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 14 January 2018 at 8:29pm
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:35pm
You still think there will be lots of resonance even if the horn is made from 18mm, or maybe even 24mm MDF and super solid?

But yeah thats the plan! Heading down south europe in a month, hoping to throw occasional mini parties along the way. I have a big tarp and lighting already, all including the subs borrowed from my 12v portable rig.

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 14 January 2018 at 7:36pm
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:48pm
Ah yeah I see. Well I have just insulated the whole thing, which hopefully will help a bit. If it rattles a bit its not the end of the world. I guess that is a point tho, might get pretty annoying to anyone who is chilling round the side not in front of the speakers

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 14 January 2018 at 7:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply