Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Variation of SMT-212

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2019 at 4:31pm
At the expense of confusing you again, I’m afraid your statement at the start is not correct. Inverting polarity swaps the positive and negative of a signal, inverting the waveform. It does not apply any delay or alter the time element of the original signal, so it is only affecting phase in a relative manner to the original signal.

This may make you ‘out of phase’ with another signal, causing ‘phase cancellation’ but it is not a phase inversion. You can’t actually ‘flip’, ‘invert’ or ‘reverse’ phase, you can only shift it via various means.

It is also not the same thing as applying enough delay to get a 180 degree rotation at a given frequency.

Sorry if that makes it more difficult but its a very common misunderstanding and a very important one to distinguish the differences between.

Try to think of phase shift moving the waveform ‘left and right’ and the polarity flip turning it ‘upside down’

Edited by toastyghost - 20 September 2019 at 4:32pm
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 50 minutes ago at 5:10am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

At the expense of confusing you again, I’m afraid your statement at the start is not correct. Inverting polarity swaps the positive and negative of a signal, inverting the waveform. It does not apply any delay or alter the time element of the original signal, so it is only affecting phase in a relative manner to the original signal

Well i didn't say that inverting polarity gives any delay.. i understood that reversing polarity causes the speaker cone to move reverse (back and forth instead of forth and back) and the phase to be reversed "upside down".
What you say is "switch phase" buttons on an active xover doesn't have the same effect of an actual polarity reverse on the speaker wiring, isn't it?
The confusing thing seems to be for me your last sentence: if phase switch just moves the phase left and right that seems to be a delay! (i know it is not )

Edited by sushi - 19 hours 45 minutes ago at 5:15am
toastyghost View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 58 minutes ago at 8:02am
It is not a ‘phase switch’. It’s a ‘polarity invert’ switch. It is exactly the same as swapping the positive and negative wires in the cable or at the speaker connection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic