Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void Inf 8 VS FFA, MC2, Powersoft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void Inf 8 VS FFA, MC2, Powersoft
    Posted: 14 October 2018 at 12:34pm
Hi
Sorry for poking this bee's HORNET's nest but after many an hour spent researching into the wonderful world of heavy duty sub amplifiers, I have decided I need a little more input before spending my money. I am looking to power a load of Oberton 18XB1500s playing heavy bass music (DnB, Tekno, Jungle, etc) at raves at a very high SPL with earth-shattering bass. Upon trawling through the numerous threads where a similar "heavy-weight vs light-weight" topic is discussed, I realised that the very vast majoirty are not at all helpful and tend to deal mainly with the users bias and become much more of a brawl between fanboys than anything of actual use ("Powersofts are weak in comparison!", "Noooo, Infinite 8s are weak in comparison!").
So that leads me here. I have £1000-£1600 to spend on a second hand bass amplifier. Based on my needs, where should I turn.

N.B: Weight of amps is, for me at least, a secondary consideration and I'd much rather lug a 40kg amp of pure bass power than a featherweight that pales in comparison.

Edited by junoprobelaunch - 14 October 2018 at 12:35pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 12:44pm
rent some of the above amps for a play? see what you prefer yourself.

junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 12:54pm
I'd love to but in my area, equiptment rental is very limited. Not only that but I do not have a space that I could really do it because to get a feel for these amps I'd really want to crank them up.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

I have £1000-£1600 to spend on a second hand bass amplifier. Based on my needs, where should I turn.

IMHO, not enough for 1x really quality Lightweight to drive 6x 1500w cabs, or 2x quality heavyweights to drive 4x 1500w cabs each, with heavy sub material, without clipping, reliably.

You've spent money on drivers, why not also spend real money on bass amp?

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:07pm
By experience, on 32A supply, with bass heavy material played, I've seen MC2 E90, FFA10, Powersoft K10, Crown Itech 8, Matrix XT10000, all struggle to fully power 6x 800W PD1850s, before clipping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:09pm
Quite simply because I'd like to still own a pair of kidneys :P 6, (and eventually more) is the end goal so at the moment one that can run 4 really well would suffice. Having said that, on the second hand market £1200 would get you an FFA 10K and the upper end of my budget would nab a K10 non-dsp (on a good day) - both amplifiers that should easily be enough to power the 6 Obertons.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:11pm
You're not the first person to say something along those lines haha. Honestly at the moment I'm very much leaning in favour of buying an Infinite 8 and then another it the future as it seems head and shoulders above what it's lightweight counterparts can do. Only reason I started this thread was because of a lack of actually useful comparisons between such amps.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:14pm
£1800 should see a pair of VZ5000 in good order?

Here's one with a best offer

No transformer available for Inf8 v2 anymore if it should die (I believe).

It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

Quite simply because I'd like to still own a pair of kidneys :P 6, (and eventually more) is the end goal so at the moment one that can run 4 really well would suffice. Having said that, on the second hand market £1200 would get you an FFA 10K and the upper end of my budget would nab a K10 non-dsp (on a good day) - both amplifiers that should easily be enough to power the 6 Obertons.

I'm talking from practical experience, not taking manufacturer specs, as gospel. Wink

When you set sub HPF below 50hz, you'll notice given specs mean almost nothing.

Few years ago, a member here posted he bought a Crown MA5000VZ, for £500 from Cash converters, and it out performed his Lab Gruppen 10K lightweight, at 4 ohm sub.. 

Something to consider, when taking manufacturer specs as facts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:24pm
That sure is interesting but convolutes my ideas of which amp to get even more haha. Have heard good things about the 5000VZ but have you any idea how it stacks up against amps that are a little more renound for being good on sub?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Thanks for that, definitely something to consider. Seems the only way to fix a bust transformer these days is to get it re-wound.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

IMHO, only a madman would pay > £750 for MA5000VZ.

If a person blows transformer in Inf8MK2, that person is inept, and should not be doing sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>