Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void Inf 8 VS FFA, MC2, Powersoft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:39pm
Was going to say, the going rate on FB is around £600, £950 is crazy.
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:47pm
How would one of them fare against previously mentioned Inf 8?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 2:04pm
No point buying 1500w drivers, if you can only afford to power 1000W drivers, properly and cleanly.

See if you can borrow/hire QSC PL380/K10 DSP, and see how they  fair with 6x of your cabs.

Suggest you stay away from Non DSP Powersoft Kseries, and get knowledgeable engineer, to setup K10 to suit your needs.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 2:52pm
Pretty much every amplifier mentioned on this thread would power 4x of them (the initial requirement) very well indeed and they're all also in my price range on the second hand market. PL380 is another one worth looking into I reckon.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

£1800 should see a pair of VZ5000 in good order?

Here's one with a best offer

No transformer available for Inf8 v2 anymore if it should die (I believe).

IMHO, only a madman would pay > £750 for MA5000VZ.

If a person blows transformer in Inf8MK2, that person is inept, and should not be doing sound.

Any winding can and will fail Ray. Only takes one bad bit of copper in the mfr process. Alternators  and starter motors and fan motors (etc) fail and they perform within same loading day in and out.
 Old amps need spares when you are giving big money for them was my point.Big smile

Up the budget time me thinks?
It's everything, not everythink!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 1:37am
Your drivers will still be able to be burned by 300-600w LONG TERM power. The rating alongside a driver is measured in ‘easy conditions’ with band limited high crest factor pink noise. It is not a real representation of power handling apart from in maybe a well tuned reflex box.

If anyone’s up for disagreeing bring your cabinets and I will gladly build a setup with measurement of amp outputs to match the power you claim you give your boxes, driven into the cabinet continuously for the length of the average club night. You can pay for your own recones after.

The ability to handle weird impedance loads especially in many DIY boxes and peak voltage swing are the main factors to consider. But frankly only a fool wouldn’t audition a purchase of even that amount, at least at someone else’s gig.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 2:00am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Your drivers will still be able to be burned by 300-600w LONG TERM power. The rating alongside a driver is measured in ‘easy conditions’ with band limited high crest factor pink noise. It is not a real representation of power handling apart from in maybe a well tuned reflex box.

If anyone’s up for disagreeing bring your cabinets and I will gladly build a setup with measurement of amp outputs to match the power you claim you give your boxes, driven into the cabinet continuously for the length of the average club night. You can pay for your own recones after.

The ability to handle weird impedance loads especially in many DIY boxes and peak voltage swing are the main factors to consider. But frankly only a fool wouldn’t audition a purchase of even that amount, at least at someone else’s gig.

Wrong thread toasty?  Haha.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

But frankly only a fool wouldn’t audition a purchase of even that amount, at least at someone else’s gig.

More people need to do this, and stop relying on specs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 11:35am
Didn't see that last bit just got confused as to how we got on the topic of of how much power kills your drivers again. Allow me to check my understanding though... so when you connect a driver to an amp output and run power into it (say the amp gives out 1500watts),the driver resists the very vast majority of that and will only see a few hundred Watts tops? I assume the crest factor plays a part in this but am I correct in saying the above?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 1:05pm
Let's try to stay on topic here.

Firstly, don't trust manufacturer specs as gospel.

Secondly, even if you buy drivers rated as 8 ohms, 8 ohm drivers loaded in hornloaded cabs, on long speaker leads, can quite easily be 12 ohms.

So estimating a lightweight amp can drive 6x of your cabs, based on published specs, is a nonsense.

When considering using an amp, for use in 2.66 ohms operation, by default, you need an extremely capable and proven device, especially if playing bass heavy material, with HPF < 60hz.

I mentioned a list of lightweight amps, I have seen fail this task at 4 ohms, based on seeing/hearing for myself.

I have 8x Scoops, loaded with 1000W drivers, and know the only amp that would properly power all 8x, with 40hz hpf is an X4/X8, which are out of budget.

So only alternative is bridging, or 2x very strong amps, running 2x cabs per side.

For reference, Crest 9001, which is rated 2kwpc @ 4 ohms, which is hugely overbuilt,  will clip before fully powering a pair of 800W 1850s per channel, even on huge power supply. Seen this many times.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 October 2018 at 1:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 1:52pm
Only in pro audio does a manufacturers specifications mean absolutely all lol...
Okay so thanks to that I've narrowed down my options. For the money, I just can't justify purchasing a "typical" lightweight to only run 4 cabs when there are much better choices. At this moment in time I'm stuck between an Infinite 8 and a PKN XE6000. An Infinite 8 would probably not fill me with as much confidence as it is a significantly older amp and would also have to be purchased second hand. Whereas if i went for the PKN I could afford it brand new which would eliminate a massive level of risk and I could actually get help if something were to go wrong with it.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 1:58pm
car manufacturers mpg claims are also hyped. We live in a world of hype unfortunately, bearing no resemblance to real world reality. The other word to describe this is dishonesty.

Edited by valve head777 - 15 October 2018 at 1:59pm
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>