Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void V18 in G-subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void V18 in G-subs
    Posted: 25 August 2018 at 8:39am
anyone here ever loaded G_subs with void v18’s? If so how did it sound?
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 12:16pm
shit don't do it
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 1:58pm
depends on exactly what void V18's your talking about. 

There have actually been a couple of different 18" drivers made available by void over the years, most only for a short time. One of them was a driver designed for reflex subs if I remember right. 

But I assume you're talking about the usual one that most people have, and no, it's very much designed as a driver for horn speakers. You won't be getting the best out of it at all in a reflex cab.

K
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

depends on exactly what void V18's your talking about. 

There have actually been a couple of different 18" drivers made available by void over the years, most only for a short time. One of them was a driver designed for reflex subs if I remember right. 

But I assume you're talking about the usual one that most people have, and no, it's very much designed as a driver for horn speakers. You won't be getting the best out of it at all in a reflex cab.

K

Good point about the older models.
IIRC, there was a 600W one that was pretty affordable and well suited to reflex, then later a 1200W one that also had good TS prams for reflex. Neither of them have been available for some time now though, as far as I know.

Re the V18-1000 (the classic horn driver), here's something I wrote up in response to an earlier request on the same topic: https://forum.speakerplans.com/void-v18-1000-small-cabinet_topic91946_post923784.html

Cheers,
David.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 4:13pm
so basically it would have to be in a 186 horn or Cerwin Vega b36 or the like.
What about the RCF esw1018 box it looks like some kind of mini scoop although it’s classed as a reflex bin ? 
Basically I’m trying to find something smaller than X1’s that will sound as good that I can utilise the V18 drivers I took out of my x1’s the v18’s I have came from blue aran in 2015
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

so basically it would have to be in a 186 horn or Cerwin Vega b36 or the like.
What about the RCF esw1018 box it looks like some kind of mini scoop although it’s classed as a reflex bin ? 
Basically I’m trying to find something smaller than X1’s that will sound as good that I can utilise the V18 drivers I took out of my x1’s the v18’s I have came from blue aran in 2015
Sell them and buy something else.v18's sell for good money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 9:25pm
yes but realistically what am I going to get that’s anywhere near as good for the secondhand value of them? 
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:10pm
Like the man said, sell 'em and buy some reflex drivers.  Good drivers they may be, but only in the right box.

Most 2nd hand cones would struggle to make half their new value, but scoop drivers appear to be in constant demand and command very good resale values.  Given how prices have risen since you bought them, you could end up recouping most of their cost.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:26pm
Considering how simple and small amount of wood why not knock up an X1 and see if that does it for you?
It's everything, not everythink!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

I’m trying to find something smaller than X1’s that will sound as good that I can utilise the V18 drivers I took out of my x1’s 
Er, I think he's tried that...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:33pm
because X1’s were what I had and ideally I want something a little smaller 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:34pm
something like these in my last post
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>