Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volt 4504 possibilities...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volt 4504 possibilities...
    Posted: 22 September 2020 at 7:22pm
I have a pair of volt 4504's (the non-horn loaded ones.) Currently loaded into a 180l or thereabouts ported box. Effectively the Volt recommended design. And they sound very nice. However, I keep wondering if there was a design that could squeeze a few more dB's out of them. I know a bigger box would be one way. But I'm interested in maybe trying in a cube-type design. Or can anyone suggest anything else? 

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:47pm
Actually, if you were willing to give up a bit of LF extension, the smaller, higher tuned suggested designs from Volt do give a little more SPL.
That's in part because tuning higher gives more reinforcement further up into the passband, and because it also helps suppress excess excursion in the passband, allowing you to use slightly more power.

Herewith the 3 suggestions from Volt, all driven to Xmax in band with a 100Hz, 24dB Butterworth crossover:

Edited by DMorison - 23 September 2020 at 12:47pm
edboom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 12:08pm
Thanks Dmorrison, that's very kind of you. It is quite an increase if I lose a few hz off the bottom end with a smaller cab. Could be worth a try. Rather hoping that another pair of drivers will pop up for as good a price as my existing ones, could be a long wait though! Cheers.

Post Reply Post Reply