Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Want an analogue crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want an analogue crossover
    Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:30pm
I had a dbx Driverack PA2 but got rid of it because I didn't like the sound of it, later this year i'll get myself an XTA DP226 I think but until then i'm looking for an analogue crossover I know they're still good pieces of kit. Anyone know what the sound quality of the latest dbx223S are like? I actually always have liked the sound of analogue equipment I used to have a BSS FDS360 and it was great.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 11:48pm
Forget anything with a DBX badge apart from the 160x, a DCX (yes the £220 thing Behringer) blows them out the water. 

I'd be very wary of any FDS-360 at this point un-less you budget for George from DPA to give a full service, they were great in 1990 but 30 years on can be as flaky as you like.

Without know what rig you run this a bit of silly conversation, but be aware just moving to Linea amps can solve your processor issues (or powersoft, if you must...)

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:11am
Nah i'd rather stay away from Behringer for outboard equipment i've had a few bits before and a mate has had quite a bit and the noise floor has been awful on all of it. I've had a dbx 223XL before and it was a great unit and quiet too MUCH better than anything Behringer me or or my friend has had. It doesn't matter what system I have a quality crossover is a quality crossover and I can't afford to spend thousands on Powersoft amps with built in DSP if I couldn I wouldn't be asking about an analogue crossover would I.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 12 May 2020 at 9:13am
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 6:31pm
I don't know what your level of experience is with servicing electronic equipment, so don't take this the wrong way if I'm asking a granny to suck eggs...

Any analogue crossover is going to be quite old, and some of the best ones now qualify as "vintage" kit. Be prepared to replace all electrolytic capacitors - with 105 degree types from reputable manufacturers, bought only from mainstream suppliers - and give the equipment a thorough test before putting into use. Frequencies are usually determined by changing resistors and capacitors in the filters, if you are lucky they will be on plugin cards.

If you are OK with that, then I suggest BSS, "the" industry standard before everything went digital. Esoteric studio monitor types such as the ATC and Boxer units (both Tim Isaac designs) sound very good but weren't intended for road use. Martin MX5 and MX4 (also by Tim) come up for sale from time to time, but all of the MX4's I have seen for sale have been extremely tatty.

HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:22pm
There are loads of old analogue crossovers out there that despite their age are fully functioning so I won't need to replace anything inside one that works. A few years ago I bought a dbx 223XL that was old and used and it worked perfectly, also you say any analogue crossover is going to be quite old, you can still buy brand new dbx 223XS ones. 
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

There are loads of old analogue crossovers out there that despite their age are fully functioning so I won't need to replace anything inside one that works. A few years ago I bought a dbx 223XL that was old and used and it worked perfectly, also you say any analogue crossover is going to be quite old, you can still buy brand new dbx 223XS ones. 

It sounds like you've answered your own question if there are loads of old fully functioning analogue crossovers out there.. 

BTW, I agree with Boxes R Blue, I'd take a DCX over a Driverack PA anyday! 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:59pm
Well when I said there are loads I mean there are a lot of Citronic ones, some dbx 223XS and some old Peavey VSX ones. With regards to the DCX i've said i'll be getting myself an XTA DP226 late in the year but I just wondered if you guys used any analgue ones and if so which.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:12pm
I've had some of the berry ones and a couple of the fds360.. I think the bss is a big step ahead of the behringers. I'm sure there are still plenty of working ones about. That's what I would choose.

Edited by cravings - 12 May 2020 at 10:13pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

Yes, I have a couple of FDS 340´s that I use regulary. Never had any issue. Lovely bit of kit.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:39am
I have a box with 4 x FDS360s in my shed some working, some not. I love the analogue sound esp' the limiting of the BSS's but I need the flexibility of an LMS to add delays and eq's to our system without doing that at the mixer. Also there was a phasing issue I could never track down, somewhere in the cards ... have an XTA now.. does what we want.
If it's a fixed system that doesn't move and has EQ's , delays set elsewhere I would still use the BSS's...

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:45am
Kinxsound in the netherlands is selling two fds360's for 150 euro. no information about crossoverpoints though.

I am using two yamaha d1030's as a cheap solution. early DSP, rather low noise. Can ard to find but are always cheap. 

Edited by Bams - 13 May 2020 at 9:47am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:01am
You're unlikely to find one but my HiFi is running on an antique DDA DD1000 crossover (4 Way Stereo). I'm only using it 2 way but sounds good to me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>