Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

want to build miniature sound system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: want to build miniature sound system
    Posted: 14 March 2020 at 3:32pm
Hi everybody

Because of the corona virus I have a 5 week vacation and I want to keep my self busy. So I was thinking about making a very very small sound system (about 50cm in height and 30 in width) just for home use. 
I really want to make it look like a real dub soundsystem just in miniature form. Anybody with experience/knowledge about these? Is it possible to make a 4 way soundsystem this way? Where do I buy drivers?...

All input/advice is welcome!

Bless
From small acorns oak trees grow.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 4:42pm
Yes it can be done. But you've got to remember that physics don't scale down. So if you build a tiny model of a large bass bin, it won't play bass like the big one!
What you can do, is build one complete box that looks like several bins stacked from the front, but is all hollow inside. Then mount a Hi-fi mini subwoofer in the back of it, and you should have enough box volume for it to work. Aurasound have some nice 4 and 5 inch sub drivers that work in small sealed boxes.
For midtops, you can use some tiny 2 or 3 inch full-range drivers in small models of mid-horns. The horn will be too small to do any actual horn loading, but will look the part. The tweeter horns and bullets above, can be purely cosmetic, as the full-rangers will play plenty of treble. Fountek are a good manufacturer, also Visaton.
You can power the whole thing from one of the small 2.1 channel class D amp boards based on the TPA3116 chip. They are cheap from China....oh...might be a problem there ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 6:24pm
There have been a few similar systems posted on here.

Here is one:-

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 9:14pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 10:14am
Very nice!   Clap
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 11:54am
have a look at ant paradox stuff on rig resale. he makes all types of boxes, all types of size. wooden, 3d printed. really quite amazing seeing a 1:10 scale psyco stack pound the desk.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
nejten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 12:07pm
Does he have a site? or where do i find his stuff?
From small acorns oak trees grow.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 12:22am
You will rapidly arrive at the realisation that you will end up spending about the same cost for the miniature ones as for the full sized thing and it will sound pretty pants by comparison to a £20 set of PC speakers... 

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 23 March 2020 at 12:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply