Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warming up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infamousj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:07pm
my guess would be over all design and component tolerance as aparently even resistors can be prone to thier rated value changing with temperature. the part the didnt teach us in electonics theory class was how much these values change.... in theory if there is enough change it could effect the sound qualitty.

sorry for the ramble
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 11:34pm
I have noticed that some of the early Lab 2000 amps tend to sound a bit rough in the HF end of things when cold, but it gets better after half an hour or so..

Ideally, amps distortion shouldnt be temperature dependant, but it seems to a generally accepted fact that they do need to warm up a bit - atleast its like that with most people who own expensive HIFI kit :-)

/p
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 8:31am
i always thought our system took a while to warm up, but we alway though it was the drivers warming up due to being stored in a cold lock up
demanddeepbass View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demanddeepbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 9:45am
I can see both sides of this, components undoubtedly change their specification slightly at temperature. An amp should be designed such that this doesn't effect the sound but this is analogue electronics, the effect will vary between manufacturers and probably between different components of the same spec.
I remember poking about inside a Studer tuner once - you could make it go out of tune by blowing on it!

As regards the always on thing - I think this might have filtered down from professional audio. Studios and broadcasters often run kit 24/7 - not because it sounds better but to avoid the thermal stresses of on/off cycles which can cause faults.
This could also have some history to it from valves which obviously have to run hot to work. 

I've heard amps which change quite a bit once they're warm and I've heard ones where I didn't notice any difference. I don't think I've listened carefully or widely enough to comment yet on whether switching amps exhibit the effect more or less.
"These amps go up to 11"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 1:18pm
The bias voltages on some amps may vary slightly as they warm up, but if designed properly, that shouldn´t change the sound. Then again, if the bias circuitry is not set up properly, or components are on the edge of their specs, then you could get a bit of distortion before things settle down.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 12:45am
I believe that amps needing to 'warm up' is a myth that stems from Valve amps, which do need to warm up to reach optimum performance. Solid state electronics behave entirely differently. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123