Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wasted SPL from the rear of cabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 1:27am
"Recomendation would be to Rear fire a reflex dual 18", eq to match the problem frequencies, then delay.phase until cancellation occurs?"

Not that easy as both front and rear firing enclosures must have the same group delay properties and rolloff rates.

"Resonance of the room is also a major factor, i regularly run decks unisolated less than a meter away from a staysys X running at 3.5k, the box is very massive a so doesn't resonate behind."

Ha ha, it doesn't resonate because its the first time someone has addressed the problem or even knew there was a problem that needed fixing.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

"Resonance of the room is also a major factor, i regularly run decks unisolated less than a meter away from a staysys X running at 3.5k, the box is very massive a so doesn't resonate behind."

Ha ha, it doesn't resonate because its the first time someone has addressed the problem or even knew there was a problem that needed fixing.

So are you saying Stasys X not only has huge output up front, it also cancels sound out at the rear?

On a completely unrelated note, how did you manage to squeeze 2x15 into Arcline X????

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 2:36am
There are no new devices or new technologies that make the Stasys X have reduced output at its rear Stu. Its just a very well built and braced cabinet. I used resonance mapping during the design of the Stasys X and that has decreased enclosure noise and led to greater output. So the ratio of cabinet noise to output is very high. Its also a horn which will have a samll effect on dispersion, especially when coupled.

"How did I manage to squeeze 2 x 15 in the Arcline X."

Its all done with magic and mirrors. And the fact that the cabinet has to be build around the drivers. Many parts of the enclosure have to be fitted after the drivers have been installed and require tools that we built just for the assembly of the Arcline X. There are also many expensive materials like kevlar and magnesium that makes its construction possible. It takes a couple of guys many hours to load up an Arcline X, so form a labour point of view is expensive to make. The fact that its not an expensive product to buy means a tight margin and sales hate it when I reccomend it to anyone. But its just the best bass cab I've ever heard. I can't discribe how it sounds, it just turns me on. Even a few have the authority you would expect from a massive stack and eveytime I hear the X it takes me back to the first time I stood next to massive PA stacks at concerts in the 1970's. Its a very conscience bin that really tries to please.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 4:30am
you also get sold along with the tools, a pair of Alvin Stardusts gloves, as worn by the man himself

WARNING!! you cannot work on the 'X' without these gloves, otherwise BASS will never exist again

I'm selling gloves and jackets with or without embroidery, they will cost........ your sole!
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 11:03am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

you also get sold along with the tools, a pair of Alvin Stardusts gloves, as worn by the man himself

WARNING!! you cannot work on the 'X' without these gloves, otherwise BASS will never exist again

I'm selling gloves and jackets with or without embroidery, they will cost........ your sole!

Ahh Alvin Stardust, a Mansfield lad. Speak to anyone in Mansfield and their mum went out with him!!
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 11:14am

Hi Rog

"Ha ha, it doesn't resonate because its the first time someone has addressed the problem or even knew there was a problem that needed fixing"

I completely agree,  thats why i specified the Staysys X and why i traveled 600 miles to stand behind ur stack at plaza last year before i could recommend the product!

That's what i meant by 'massive', (very heavy) and very well braced to stop resonance.

s.
It's an artistic piece...but i like it
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 11:36am
Yep, it was fun doing that demo in 2007 at PLASA.

I'm not sure those kind of levels will ever be allowed again at a show. If I had of known that then, I would have turn that f**ker of a system up untill the whole building fell down.

I was powering the Stasys X's from 3 Infinite 8 V2's that could have drawn around 60 amps into that impedance if I had of pushed it. The fact there was as much bass as most could handle and I was only drawing a max of 8 amps means there was another 52 amps of pure ballistic havoc just wating to happen. My only down fall was that I was so restrained.

Oh well, if there is a next time.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by chris_k chris_k wrote:

Ahh Alvin Stardust, a Mansfield lad. Speak to anyone in Mansfield and their mum went out with him!!

I play in a band with his ex drummer!

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 12:20pm
Rog

Surely this is something that needs to be worked on?

Like a new plasa with everybody's systems gettin like 12 mins each all day on rotation?
or even an extra plaza day?

surely it would be more productive than each manufacturer holding their own demo days, weeks apart in different spaces.

I feel let down every year at plasa that i can see/touch/smell but not hear!!!!

rant over!
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by SwenK SwenK wrote:

Resonance of the room is also a major factor, i regularly run decks unisolated less than a meter away from a staysys X running at 3.5k, the box is very massive a so doesn't resonate behind. The room is also very dense concrete, which is padded,

In the same club i have a pair of turbo 718's, in that room everything is wood and is not padded in anyway, The turbo';s resonate a fair bit at the back of the box as does the room,

low feedback is a real problem there.

Is this club in Cornwall? I really do need to hear a Staysys X soon.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 9:59pm
Yup Cornwall

I fitted the original rig,

they're about to buy a complete rack of Infinite amps, so i'd wait before makin any trips!

pm me and i'l arrange a demo tho.

s.

Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Have to say, having a cardioid/delayed bass setup like that should allow you to surprise some of the bigger sounds and perhaps orchestrate a bit of a change in how they run things

why not just set up ya subs in a ''herring bone'' fasion??
A La Martin Audio at Glasto:

would similar work, if you had say 3 scoops a side, with the central one set back the appropriate amount from the outside two scoops???

mmm.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>